Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#69755 by joshhuggins
Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:52 pm
I am trying to locate the center axis of the red members and need add a vertical 3DLine based on the members ZBase/Height. Right now the easiest way I know how to do this now is to draw a 3DLine in an elevation view with the correct height, then switch to ortho and then copy that 3Dline around. Does that make sense? I was hoping I could just drop a 3DLine in ortho view with my Zbase/height set. Is that possible? If not could we add that to the ol' wish list please?
Attachments
eqweqweqweq.PNG
eqweqweqweq.PNG (11.61 KiB) Viewed 6793 times
eqweqewq.PNG
#69756 by jimgoodman
Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:30 pm
Josh: Set the desired ZBase and ZHeight, Use the Base/Height option in 3d Lines and click twice at the desired location and the vertical 3d line is created.
#69757 by joshhuggins
Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:01 pm
A related wish, would be could we get an option in the 3D entity creation menus for inputting at the height between the zbase/height? Maybe call it Center Z?
#69759 by joshhuggins
Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:11 pm
jimgoodman wrote:Josh: Set the desired ZBase and ZHeight, Use the Base/Height option in 3d Lines and click twice at the desired location and the vertical 3d line is created.
Ahhh you me digging deeper here Jim. Earlier and I thought it wasn't working because Datacad was asking for the second point still after I tried snapping the second point and had the rubber banding line still attached. After your reply I thought I'd give it another try and it was doing the same thing, then I figured out because I Chain toggled on, it was ready to actually create the 3rd point in the chain even though Datacad was saying "Click second end point of 3D line." So I think big Dave might want to adjust the Message line so when chain is on the second and following consecutive points added Datacad should report "Click next point in 3D line chain." and keep the current message for non chain creation. Thanks for the reply Jim got me where I needed to go!
#69761 by Robert Scott
Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:14 pm
Josh and Jim: attend my SoCal 3D seminar in January...I'll show you an easier way to draw a vertical 3D line ;)
Reserve your seats in advance...only two per golf cart!

Bob
#69762 by jimgoodman
Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:46 am
Ah yes, the offsite 3d seminar we've been discussing. I'm not sure why you think Southern California will have nicer weather than Michigan in January, especially this coming year - we are scheduled for our once a decade rain storm in 2017. :roll:

At any rate, I discovered the click-click trick several years ago, by accident. You can also use a short vertical polyline to accomplish the same thing and it's a bit easier to find.
#69763 by Robert Scott
Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:59 am
I don't understand why the Michigan Tourism Board rejected my winter campaing slogans; "Pure Michigan, anywhere but here" and "Michigan, a good place to be from" ;)