Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#70017 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:37 pm
We have been using the Arial font a fair bit lately, because it translates very well to DWG (stays the correct aspect!), and also it is the standard for the office we are working with.

BUT, we have been seeing odd results, with font that looks EXACTLY the same on the screen AND has all the settings the same, as far as I can tell. I typed all of these recently, as Paratext - here they are on the screen:

Arial Font on Screen.png

And here is part of this on the plot preview:

Arial Font on Preview.png

I double checked the weight, etc. In the past, the ONLY way to correct this is the use Match All.

This is quite baffling, and frustrating.
#70020 by joshhuggins
Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:52 pm
Looks like a difference between the TTF outline settings in the Font dialog maybe?
#70113 by Ted B
Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:24 pm
Is it possible you have two or more versions of Arial?

I have several fonts in my collection that are supposed to be the same font, but they are from different source-files and render slightly different. Perhaps the active font-file changed between the original text and the new text. "Match-All" would force it to use the embedded font, not the now-active font-source. (Or the reverse.??) Common and open-source fonts can have different authors or source-files...or even be different between different up-grade versions.

I've also run into where the .otf and the .ttf file print differently even from the same author and source.
#70128 by joshhuggins
Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:02 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:I suspect the font files may be the issue - but I only see one Arial file in my Windows/Fonts folder. Is there another location?

You should see that the Arial font looks like it has multiple pages on it's icon. Dbl click to open the font "family" to see the individual fonts.
Attachments
Fonts.PNG
Fonts.PNG (78.43 KiB) Viewed 10911 times
#70137 by MtnArch
Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:08 am
This is just a WAG but do you have any TTF's in your DC font directory?
#70138 by joshhuggins
Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:35 am
9 is what I have here also. Hmmm only other thing I can think of is we had a font version issue when we used the Tahoma font between Windows XP and Windows Vista/7 systems. Could you be running different OS between the systems? Could check the version number of the fonts in the File Properties, Details tab. Mine are 6.90 on Win 10 FWIW.

If you copy and paste say one "good" paratext and one "bad" paratext iinto a new default file do they still exhibit the same behavior? If so maybe post that AEC file here so we can poke at it.
#70139 by Ted B
Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:17 pm
I'm not sure if Datacad does, but some programs embed the original font-file inside the document. It won't appear on your installed fonts list, but you can select it when that file is open for use in that file.

So if the problem is in a Datacad legacy-file then the conflict could be between your "installed" fonts and the embedded-font deep inside your document to begin-with..