Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#70097 by Ted B
Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:35 am
Thanks and Thanks.

It's already been downloaded to Intuit's "tender mercies" and they're going to play with it. It's supposed to be compatible but apparently there are glitches in translation to force the file to open. I have my doubts that the file is actually intrinsically-corrupted since it did worked under QB-2008, and even backups made several years ago won't open. The techie said it even could be a subtlety in how QB-2017 installed on my PC and interacts with the internal security software...
We'll wait and see for the moment if their Tech-Support can get the file to open and re-save as a QB-2017 file. Apparently Intuit's tech-support is spending a lot of time and effort dealing-with problems created by the Windows-10 Upgrade for their software-users, and not just legacy-users.

This is why I have paper records of many of my projects at vital points in the project, and my digital back-ups. Conceptually a digital-record is "safe" But if the software can't access the media, or open the file, what good is the digital-archive? Who even has a 5-1/4" floppy-drive that actually works anymore....or even a 3-1/2" hard-floppy drive-slot. Or the infamous 100mB Zip-drives... Or has the software-trained technician to access the information.

I don't know if they still do this, but when I was in college in the 1980s the major railroads, mining companies and cartographers were still using inked-drawings on drafting-linen since properly stored linen-drawings are nearly-immortal, and it might be 100-years later that the drawing is needed for reference.
#70098 by Robert Scott
Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:10 am
Ted B wrote:Thanks and Thanks.

I don't know if they still do this, but when I was in college in the 1980s the major railroads, mining companies and cartographers were still using inked-drawings on drafting-linen since properly stored linen-drawings are nearly-immortal, and it might be 100-years later that the drawing is needed for reference.

Interesting thought. I really doubt they do this since I think everyone is pretty confident that some form of PDF reader will be around for a long long time.
Having started out with my first job using Ink on Mylar just the mention of it gives me PTSD :) I still have my technical pens buried in the archives.

Robert
#70112 by Ted B
Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:07 pm
In college we had to present Ink-on-Paper originals. My school didn't even have a diazo-machine.

I didn't use ink-on-mylar until several years after I graduated...those horrid pin-bar registration "overlay" drawings with the vacuum-frame sepia record drawings. The firm where I was an Associate for years used pencil-on-mylar single-sheets until we bought our first Autocad PC and a 36" HP pen-plotter. In today's money, it was nearly $100k. for one workstation.
#70115 by GARY247
Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:35 pm
I took the jump to windows 10 thinking it would be easy to revert to windows 7 pro if I did not like it. Wrong. It cost me 100 dollars to reformat the machine to get back to windows 7 as I did not like windows 10 at all.
#70163 by Ted B
Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:45 pm
Just an update; Intuit managed to open my Quickbooks company file. The bad news is it's only the accounting back to 2013.

Now I have to root-around in my archives and try to remember [puzzle-out] what the old company files file-names were -- without being being able to look at the file-contents -- and ship them to Intuit for conversion. They were very prompt and helpful, so that's a plus... I'm getting the impression that Intuit is doing this a lot for disappointed [angry] earlier-release customers blindsided by the Windows-10 incompatibility.

The whole experience is making question the realities of digital backups. I have the files, I have the backups---but they don't open in the current PC environment. What about my older e-mails files, Cad files, business correspondence etc... At what point will they be inaccessible?? -- while at the same time I have legal and tax-record retention requirements.
#70164 by joshhuggins
Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:36 pm
I would imagine looking at the folder that contains your QBW files with the the Explorer Window set to Details view so you can see the modified date might help you find the most recent version of your company file. If you run multiple companies, once you get things figured out might be a good idea to get your QBW company files renamed to match each company's name if your names are currently generic and also have them saved to specific company folders for each. Makes diggin thru all of Quickbooks tons of files a little easier.
#70165 by GARY247
Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:06 pm
I tried the windows 10 update and did not like it. Don't assume the roll back will be as easy as MS says it will. It cost me 100 dollars to have my hard drive wiped as the roll back did not work. Lesson learned.
#70189 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:56 pm
Well, if you need to move to Win10, then I recommend Classic Shell - it is free and it works great. Almost everything is in the same place, and very similar. It does the same for Windows 8 and 8.1, too.

I'll post a screen capture of my desktop when I get home.