Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#70290 by joeferguson
Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:44 pm
2600 corner autocad.jpg

In my work creating Division 8 Construction Shop Drawings, I often need to use .dwg files created by various component manufacturers.

Occasionally when I open a .dwg drawing in DataCAD 17, one or two pieces are missing. This can create a lot of extra work for me as I need to draw the missing pieces manually. Can anyone explain why some parts just don't transfer over?

I have included screenshots of the same part as viewed in Autocad and in DC17, so you can see the missing cyan coloured part.

I have also (attempted) to include the original .dwg file. But I get an error message that .dwg files are not allowed. If anyone may have a solution, I would be happy to send the .dwg separately.

Any help is appreciated, as the quality of my work is affected as well as the time it takes to do it.

Thanks.

joe
Attachments
2600 corner datacad.jpg
#70309 by joeferguson
Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:24 pm
I found a short-term workaround, but it's not very elegant, and is still time-consuming.

I downloaded the 30 day trial of Autocad and opened the file in Autocad. The missing piece was there, as a block. I exploded the block and saved the file with the block exploded.

The file then opens complete in DataCAD.

Not sure what I will do when the 30 days is up. And I still don't understand why some blocks will open in DataCAD but not others. From my experience, I would guess that less than 10%, maybe less than 5% of all blocks will not open in DataCAD.

joe
#70310 by MtnArch
Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:47 pm
If it was created as a "proxy" it will not import.
#70312 by joeferguson
Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:25 pm
Thanks, Alan

I read up on proxies and now have a little better understanding of how the pieces go missing.

And I have a fix, although it is inelegant.

Onward and upward,

joe

ps As I have done in the past, since it is close to year end, I want to take the time to thank all of you who continue to support this forum. Without desiring to offend anyone, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!