Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#70582 by joshhuggins
Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:03 pm
I want to remove the leading space from millimeter dimensions so they read a little tighter, so 150.00 mm would read 150.00mm I've tried searching the forum on this but couldn't find what I thought I had previously read on it.
#70584 by REX PEET
Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:18 am
Josh

You could use the AS 1100 scale and you would have "150" or 11 345. Get rid of the units altogether?
#70586 by Mark Bell
Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:05 pm
Hello Rex,
Another option could be to change the text's Aspect so in a particular instance it is condensed to fit the space you need?
#70587 by Mark Bell
Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:07 pm
...oops! last post should have been to Josh.
Also, do you need to display the 'mm' as drawings done in metric automatically assume they are in mm (parts of Europe is cm)?
#70588 by joshhuggins
Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:45 pm
Thanks for the ideas guys. They do need to stay in mm and labeled as such because the project is a mixed unit project (metric and imperial) and we are actually double dimensioning everything with imperial on top and mm on the bottom. I could have swore I has seen a discussion a couple of years ago where either one of the language translators for was instructed to revise a file to help with this or something similar. Don't really want to adjust the aspect ratio that much either. We will just make it work as is if it's not possible to remove that space. Thanks again guys!
#70590 by joshhuggins
Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:17 pm
Mark F. Madura wrote:Can you do it with suffix?
We did try that actually combined with turning off the units, but there are hundreds of dimensions and there isn't an easy way to change them all easily, at least that I could find. Thanks for the idea though Mark.
#70591 by Dave
Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:35 pm
joshhuggins wrote:Thanks for the ideas guys. They do need to stay in mm and labeled as such because the project is a mixed unit project (metric and imperial) and we are actually double dimensioning everything with imperial on top and mm on the bottom. I could have swore I has seen a discussion a couple of years ago where either one of the language translators for was instructed to revise a file to help with this or something similar. Don't really want to adjust the aspect ratio that much either. We will just make it work as is if it's not possible to remove that space. Thanks again guys!

mm to 2 decimal places required.. you getting into building some nano houses :lol: :lol:
#70592 by Mark Bell
Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:43 am
...actually, Dave you have a point - I don't know of any project for a building that requires 2 dp precision~! Must be a bloody good builder :)
Josh - have you considered just showing whole numbers without d.p., ie. 150 mm as this would give you the extra space you need and be consistent with metric dimensioning (even if you need to include units)?
#70595 by joshhuggins
Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:01 pm
LOL, teeny tiny houses :lol: Actually it is a series of steel platforms for biomass electric generators. Parts of the steel frames are prefab and designed with feet/inches. The generators and their associated equipment are in mm and have precision down to 2 places.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#70599 by Mark Bell
Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:08 pm
Well there you go - mystery solved~!

With the hard-coding for metric, in reality when we write 150mm or 10m etc. there is no space between the number and unit added. It would be rare to see a gap. But either way, 10m or 10 m, it's still clear on the intent.
#70725 by Nick Pyner
Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:34 pm
I can't believe what I'm reading, but there was a little boy who summed this circus up perfectly
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
I can't believe what I'm reading here.
Clipboard01.jpg (24.2 KiB) Viewed 12274 times
#70726 by Nick Pyner
Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:36 pm
This isn't a DataCad problem, it's a management problem.

For starters the last time I heard of documents stupid enuff to be in mixed dimensions was for the Hubble telescope. I believe it only cost them 10 billion dollars to send a crew up there to fix it because of that.

And for seconds, it might be a good idea to think about what is to be built - a building, or a new Rolex. In architecture, dimensions to 10mm should suffice, and I submit that any documentation with dims ending other than 0 or 5mm is a pretty clear sign of incompetence. And an architect letting a job out the door with mm to two decimal places would/should be the laughing stock of the entire building industry - " Bloody architects, they don't know what they are doing - as usual". It would be richly deserved, and may well put the price up also.
We dimension in millimetres to AS1100 but virtually everything ends with a 0. I understand this is the result of fiat from the Australian Metric Conversion Board, and the Royal Australian Institute of Architects were too wimpy to resist. From what I see, the Europeans have been using cm since the time of Napoleon, and the above is the reason why.

For the metrically challenged, the insecure, the paranoid, and the herders of dinosauers, DataCad steps up and offers the possibility of measuring and drawing in imperial, and then at the push of a button produce an entirely new copy but dimensioned in what the rest of us patronisingly call "soft metric". Jeez, isn't DataCad just wunnerful? but, even then, mm to two decimal places? Fair suck of the sauce bottle....
#70727 by joshhuggins
Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:35 am
. . .