Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#70814 by sjohnoz
Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:37 pm
I am trying to insert a scaled PDF plan into a drawing. I use the SI Metric system for drawing and am running DC19.
If achievable, can I amend the plan, or trace over the plan which would be time consuming? Primarily, it would be good to get something I can work on.
Any help, or positive steps would be welcome.

Regards to All
Steve J.
#70816 by joshhuggins
Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:02 pm
You will need to convert the PDF to a bitmap format like JPG or PNG then insert that. Once inserted you can scale the image file to use as you suggested. Here is i link to a few video how-tos on the scaling and such.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=13458&p=70815#p60105
#70819 by REX PEET
Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:15 pm
I have found that there is no; best way to insert a pdf into Datacad. As Josh said, you can insert a bit map. The pdf can be easily converted to a variety of graphics file with PdFill, available for free. Also, you could use Any PDF to DWG converter and import the dwg file. Best to insert the dwg file into a brand new Datacad file. Sometimes things can go awry and you would not want to corrupt your original Datacad file. As a side note, if the pdf has been created by scanning an old paper drawing, you nay find that what was once one line has been broken into many, many line segments. In this case, best to follow Josh's solution and insert a bitmap
#70824 by sjohnoz
Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:23 pm
Hi Guys

I followed your suggestions and converted a few PDF's to both JPG and Metafiles and inserted into a new drawing and found both were satisfactory.
However I found on measuring there were a few millimetres out in scale, probably due to inaccuracies in the PDF. I do not feel though, that this is a big issue.

Thank you for your help.
Steve J.
#71256 by artmanvt2000
Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:05 pm
Steve J.,

Was the pdf a scan with a large format scanner? If it was, most scanners will distort the scan in one direction, x or y. If you can turn off "Lock Aspect Ratio" and play with the enlargement factor in the x and y axis individually.
#71257 by joshhuggins
Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:22 pm
REX PEET wrote:Best to insert the dwg file into a brand new Datacad file. Sometimes things can go awry and you would not want to corrupt your original Datacad file.
Ohhhh yeah, best tip yet Rex! Once you get what you need, purge that file, repair it and then copy and paste the contents into your main working file. Multiple steps to help filter out the cruddies.
#71258 by sjohnoz
Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 pm
The PDF was sent to me as an email attachment and with much fiddling I was able to get some sense out of it.
I haven't had the need to insert PDF's into a drawing since, but have taken your advice on board.
Thank You
Steve J.
#71260 by Roger D
Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:39 pm
I would still use any dwg original file as a xref, and would not import into a aec drawing file directly.