Post off topic threads here.
#70823 by joshhuggins
Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:26 pm
Hey guys I have a situation where I need to mark a slanted post parallel to the ground plane of it's current location for a cut line that will be cut later once dug up. I was trying to think of a way or device that would allow me to set the height of the cut line off the adjacent ground plane and trace around the post. My other idea is a laser level and manually marking the post, but I am not sure I can get that to work since the cut line is just a little more than an inch off the ground and I think my laser level would be too high, I haven't check it yet. I was thinking of some sort of wheeled device that might hold a marking pen. The red plane and grey plane are parallel. Any ideas?
Attachments
Plane Cut.PNG
Plane Cut.PNG (8.4 KiB) Viewed 9666 times
#70828 by dmartens
Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:30 pm
Ok Josh I don't want to sound like an idiot and I am not an architect but couldn't you use a scribe. Maybe put some smooth surfaced material (1/4" plywood) on the ground and cut around the post to get a nice straight line. That's if I am understanding correctly.
#70831 by joshhuggins
Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:09 pm
I have a small hand scribe but I was thinking it would be to wobbly to keep in matching the same plane as the ground. Maybe if I affix it to something stiff with a flat base that might work. I have only ever scribed some base boards next to a wall and I am not a wood pro by any stretch of the imagination either. Was just thinking some of the more handy around here might have a cool trick or tool to share. Thanks for the idea Dan, think that will probably be the way I go.

EDIT: I found this scribe that has a built in flat bottom and articulating arm which I think should reach high enough for me. Gotta love Amazon next day free shipping! :D
#70837 by Robert Scott
Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:26 pm
joshhuggins wrote:I have a small hand scribe but I was thinking it would be to wobbly to keep in matching the same plane as the ground. Maybe if I affix it to something stiff with a flat base that might work. I have only ever scribed some base boards next to a wall and I am not a wood pro by any stretch of the imagination either. Was just thinking some of the more handy around here might have a cool trick or tool to share. Thanks for the idea Dan, think that will probably be the way I go.

EDIT: I found this scribe that has a built in flat bottom and articulating arm which I think should reach high enough for me. Gotta love Amazon next day free shipping! :D

I was also going to mention scribe. How about some pics of it in action when you receive the new toy? ;)

Robert
#70844 by Dave
Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:25 am
I'd use 2 pieces of timber/ply, a sliding clamp & a steel rule. rip the timber to the height you want off the ground and cut to a suitable length, cramp one each side following the contour of the ground, draw a line along the top edge of these, place steel rule across and draw line under.

DaveR
#70845 by jimgoodman
Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:45 am
As with most projects, the fun is in finding the right tool....