Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#69758 by spmcginley
Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:04 pm
Loading symbols through the symbol browser or by using the Template menu is causing DataCAD to crash. Our symbols and tpl files are located on the server where they have been for many years and years. This happens in version 17 and 18.

I can use the Insert menu and insert a single symbol into the drawing that way without issue. This started happening about two weeks ago. We have rebooted the server, powered down and up the network switches, but still the problem remains.

I feel that it has to be a networking problem since I can copy to a local hard drive any symbol folder and a tpl file and modify its paths to the symbols, and everything works as it should.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?

Running windows 7 on Dell Optiplex's. We have not changed anything recently with our OS or machines. IT says they have not made any changes to the server OS either.

Appreciate any suggestions or solutions to try out.

regards,
Steve
#70928 by spmcginley
Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:50 pm
Just a follow up to this issue. Don't know what changed about our network, but after some trial and error we found that if we modified the path in the tpl files from our mapped drive location to the server name with location, the issue went away.

For example we changed paths in our tpl files from using mapped network drives like this:
L:\dcad\sym\apfix\5fttub

to this:
\\servername\template\dcad\sym\apfix\5fttub

Also using Symbol Browser we have to use the network path to our servername then drill down to the symbol folder to load instead of choosing the mapped L: drive.

Steve
#72514 by mijenix
Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:53 am
I had a similar problem with Sketchup. The program would show up fine on my primary monitor but the component and materials windows that I keep on my secondary monitor would not show the thumbnails for the symbols and would lock up the program if you attempted to click on them. I traced it back to a windows security update that I had done a week earlier, I'm not sure what the update KB number was, but you should check for any recent updates.