Post off topic threads here.
#71411 by DBrennfoerder
Wed May 03, 2017 11:17 am
I posted this on a code forum, but no answers yet. I know there are experts here, so give me some feedback.

I have a client who wants a play area for small toddlers that would be surrounded by a "low padded rail". They are suggesting "no gate" because of the potential for finger pinch problems. Can I have a low rail at 18" to 24" max without a gate for a 10' x 12' area of a room?

Hadn't had a request like this before; doubt the code could allow it in any form. Tripper hazard and/or exit problems?
#71412 by David Porter
Wed May 03, 2017 12:24 pm
I don't think I completely understand this concept. Is this to be a 24" high enclosure of a 10' x 12' space within another room? Is the only entry in and out of this cordoned off area by kids getting set down inside the "corral" by adults and then picked back up out of the corral by adults. It sounds almost like building a big play pen within a room. Playpens are allowed so maybe that's what it should be considered. Not having a gate would also mean that an adult with a bad back could not pick up a toddler to put them into the pen or pick them up and out of the pen.
#71413 by DBrennfoerder
Wed May 03, 2017 12:34 pm
You understand it perfectly. There are two age groups, so maybe an 18" high wall separating one end of a larger room for infants and a 24" rail separating part of another room for toddlers. Playpen is a perfect description. True; some adults might have trouble helping children, but the low rail would be easy to step over, especially where the rail connects to a wall if there was a grip rail.

Where can I find "play pen" in the IBC? This would be built-in, not a purchased product. --or maybe its not an issue at all.
#71414 by joshhuggins
Wed May 03, 2017 1:08 pm
Maybe just make it builtin bench seat. Nothing stopping that I don't think.
#71415 by Roger D
Wed May 03, 2017 1:21 pm
Did something similar for a day care to split room in 1/2 for crawlers vs toddlers. But did have a 1/2 door in it for staff, parents, cleaning staff, etc.
#71417 by joshhuggins
Wed May 03, 2017 1:51 pm
Could add the door/gate to avoid any issues and they just don't use it?
#71419 by MtnArch
Wed May 03, 2017 2:21 pm
Don't forget accessibility access! The lockable gate/door would seem to be the best solution, with a built-in bench to provide the barrier.
#71420 by Roger D
Wed May 03, 2017 4:12 pm
DBrennfoerder wrote:Roger, how high was yours? If less than 32", did you need to add a rail?

It was either 40 or 42", we had the contractor cut a door in 1/2, put one on each end.
BTW, it was back on 2001, found the basic plan, but worked out the details with contractor who donated the work. I was sure I had a section, but could not find it.
#71431 by David Porter
Thu May 04, 2017 11:24 am
I agree with the ADA comment. I think even if fire codes allowed for the "play pen" enclosure, there would need to be a way for a wheelchair bound child to get inside the enclosure. I am getting two calls a week from frantic business owners about attorneys filing shake down lawsuits due to alleged ADA violations and if there is even one real ADA non-compliance issue, the plaintiff's attorney gets his fee paid. So, every owner is paying the extortion money and then fixing the non-compliance items.

You don't want your enclosure area, even if perfectly OK by the Code, to become an attorney's next pay day.