Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#71489 by granter59
Thu May 11, 2017 9:39 am
Hello all,
I am a recent dc6 version user. It has served me well for what I needed it to do(basic floor plans ,elev,persp, and the like) being a custom builder, remodeler. I had it running on an old desktop up until recently and now have the latest 19lt version. So this smartwalls doors and windows is very new to me. but have learned how to use it. My question is what is the way to draw a trapaziod window? not quite sure how to do it. Thanks in advance
#71491 by Neil Blanchard
Thu May 11, 2017 2:52 pm
Hello and welcome to the Forum,

I am not all that well versed in Smart entities, but I don't think that trapezoidal windows are possible as smart entities. Unless there is a way to use a symbol - with triangles of wall surface infilling the rectangular space in the Smart Wall.

Hopefully someone else here who can walk through the steps to do this.
#71529 by Mark Bell
Mon May 22, 2017 5:22 am
As Neil said, you essentially create/model the trapezoidal window you need, save it as a symbol (lower left in plan for save point), then in the smart windows manager under Sash, pick Use Symbol and select the 3D trapezoidal window to replace any default window and rename the smart window a unique name, ie. (2400 Long Trapezoidal Window 1 etc.). The method is a bit cumbersome but it can be done and wouldn't take that long. DataCAD will allow you to model 'any' shape you want as long as it fits within a square/rectangle. Remember to turn off all the other smart entity settings in the various windows tabs. You'll also need to include two blank wall pieces either side of the tapered window to form a rectangle as presently smart doors/windows will only cut out square/rectangular voids in the smart walls. I've got one on file which I've included some screen shots to get you going. I also recall something in one of the CheapTricks magazine some years ago. There's also some smart entity tutorials on the Forum (somewhere) :)
052217c.jpg

052217d.jpg

052217b.jpg