Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#71689 by GARY247
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:53 pm
My current computer has an Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz, 8GB Ram, 64 bit computer. Right now it handles x-references really slow. If version 19 is installed will the program run even slower?
#71690 by joshhuggins
Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:12 am
Most likely will be the same but could be faster. Don't know what version you are using now to compare to though. Faster processor and more ram (12-32 GB) would help. Would be nice if there was a way to squeeze more performance out of today's newer hardware.
#71691 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:06 am
The biggest factor that affects speed of XRef's - is Nesting. If you don't need nesting in some / all of the XRef's - TURN OFF NESTING in as many XRef's as you can.

DataCAD 19 is faster than some older versions of DataCAD, as (I think?) that when you have multiple instances of XRef's of the same file, then I think at some point, DataCAD was streamlined to "reuse" the same temporary file, rather than needing a separate file for each instance.

Even if your version already does this, v19 should be the same speed. Nesting is still on by default for all XRef's, and it is important to turn it off for ALL XRef's unless it is required.
#71697 by joshhuggins
Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:49 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:Nesting is still on by default for all XRef's, and it is important to turn it off for ALL XRef's unless it is required.
This really should be changed to Default off. Historical use be damned.
#71698 by jimgoodman
Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:57 am
joshhuggins wrote:
Neil Blanchard wrote:Nesting is still on by default for all XRef's, and it is important to turn it off for ALL XRef's unless it is required.
This really should be changed to Default off. Historical use be damned.

I agree 100%.

As a workaround, you can set your default drawings setup with nesting set to off.