Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#71789 by Jim Allen
Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:31 am
Is there an easy way to make a default drawing to get all your settings from an existing drawing? We have an employee here that has been using the same drawing over and over and erasing the entities for the next job. The problem is that it also collects all the corruption that was made along the way. He would like to have all the settings he has made in a clean default drawing. Maybe deleting all the entities and running the Repair tool on it would work. Is there a better way?

Thanks,

Jim Allen
#71793 by joshhuggins
Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:05 pm
Jim Allen wrote:Maybe deleting all the entities and running the Repair tool on it would work. Is there a better way?
That along with a Purge should be good.
#71798 by Roger D
Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:27 pm
Might be best to open a blank drawing, and importing a few of the layers (note, dimension) and have on Update Defaults in the Import Command.
Or spend a short period to create a new default that has all the setting that you need to do. My default has a few basic layers with typical note, dimension and other settings.
#71799 by Jim Allen
Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:39 pm
Thanks Roger.

I purged and repaired that file after deleting all the entities. Now I get an overflow in the distances for X, Y, and d. That file is probably not worth messing with and I just told him that. Better to start clean and add anything you forgot for defaults as you go.
#71801 by ORWoody
Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:07 pm
I would suggest creating a layer sets.
First erase everything from the desired base drawing.
Purge all residual hatch types, linetypes, etc.
Then, exit the base drawing and reopen it.
Create the layer set.
Most all of your settings will come in with the layer set. All GoToViews... everything really.
But best of all, you have a perfectly clean drawing file.
Good luck,
Woody