Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#72442 by Richard Mauser
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:18 am
Hi all,

I have a project that has a floor plan that would fit on an Arch E1 size sheet, but is too large for Arch D. I'd like to avoid splitting the plan. I have a HP plotter that can only do Arch D max (24") but I would need to get to 30" wide in order to do Arch E1, and obviously that isn't an option on that printer. I would be sending out the full size plots to a printer. I would do scaled down plots in my office as check prints.
I have tried to make a custom size in the Plotter/Setup menu, redefining the 'user define' to the size I want, and the size change seems to stay, but when I try to do a 'QwkLyout' plot, the print area won't change from 8½x11.
Also, there isn't an option to name a new size and define it, or am I missing something?
I tried Microsoft print to PDF but that doesn't list these large sheet sizes. (I googled and read how a guy used regedit to alter that, but I don't want to mess with registry stuff.)

Thanks for whatever insight you can offer.
--
Rick
#72444 by joshhuggins
Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:36 pm
You are going to need a PDF print driver that will support that size paper. I tried manually adding 30x42 to the Windows Print Server but the Microsoft PDF print drive would not use it. There are several free PDF print drivers like CutePDF, PDF Fill, and PDF995. Search the forum for pros and cons. I use a paid print driver from Tracker Software that give you tons of control over your PDF output. They have a lite version which can be stand alone or comes with several versions of their PDF editor packages, or a pro version which is also available standalone or comes with their PDF XChange Pro suite which has all of their offerings. If you work a lot with PDF's and don't already have PDF editing solution I highly recommend it. Have been using it for about 10 years now I think and couldn't imagine working without it. I have a few posts talking about it here on the forum as well if you search for "tracker" or "XChange".
#72454 by MtnArch
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:30 pm
You could also install the software for a plotter that you don't actually have - I used to do that for my old DesignJet 450C. I loaded up the drivers for a 1055 which gave me the larger size when I needed it but never actually plotted to it.
#72512 by Richard Mauser
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:56 am
Thanks for all of your comments. I previously used PDF995 until windows updates seemed to render it unusable, so I decided to give it another try, and downloaded the most recent version. That shows all the large format sizes, so I think that will do the trick.

Now, lets see if the key I previously bought still works... Nope, it didn't. But then I usually just save the print preview to PDF anyway, so I don't really need to get the key for using it for large plots in Datacad. But I should.. :D

I did get a print out to PDF after some noodling through other plot options, so I think its going to work for me.
Update: Yes, its working for me. I always save the print preview to PDF, so even though PDF995 is a virtual printer, I never actually use it - just its plot size options, which include E, E1, E2, E3.

Thanks again for your help.
Last edited by Richard Mauser on Fri May 25, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
#73968 by Richard Mauser
Thu May 24, 2018 1:54 pm
Hmm...
Things were working fine until I installed the latest MS operating system update. Now, PDF 995 won't make the proper size plots for Arch E1, E2, E3. Arch A-E work correctly.
I deleted it as a printer and then reinstalled it (without rebooting the computer), exited and restarted DataCAD, but it still won't show the proper plot area. Has anyone else had this problem?
I contacted PDF995. They suggested I remove/reboot/reload their program, which I did. I can print a TXT file to the desired size sheet, but in DataCAD, I tried QwkLyout for Arch D, E and E1 sizes, and each appears to grab about 75% of what it should be plotting.

Is there anyway to fix this without reloading DataCAD? Would reloading DataCAD actually fix it? Any thoughts will be appreciated.
--
Richard