Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#72467 by joeferguson
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:35 pm
Hard to believe after 12 years of DataCAD I can get into this kind of pickle.

Through an inadvertent keystroke (or two) I have changed the orientation of text in my drawing. It now types vertically even though my angle is set to zero.

This has happened several times per year over all the years I have used DC and the fix has always been to press the "B" key to get to the Tangents menu. Then I draw a straight level line and the problem goes away. Not this time. I can't fix it. Searched the forum and the DataCAD reference manual (I still have an old dead tree manual!) and no help.

Perhaps if I understood what I did in the first place to change the orientation of text, I might be in a better position to fix it.

Any ideas out there?

Joe
#72468 by Roger D
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:17 pm
Try Settings / Angle / Start Angle (if I recall the menus correctly)
Sometimes unique key hits mimic extended codes.
#72470 by RParker
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:51 am
What do you get if you "identify" the rotated text?
#72471 by joeferguson
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:52 am
Aha!! When I identify the text it states the SLANT is 90 degrees. However when I go to SLANT in the text menu it is identified as zero. And when I go to the FONT menu, it says the slant is zero.

So why does it identify as 90 in one place and zero in the other?

Thanks, Robert
#72472 by joeferguson
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:02 am
Robert,

Your suggestion to identify led me to do some more looking in that area. When I identify previous text that is horizontal, it identifies as 90 degrees. So when I change my ANGLE to 90 degrees the text appears horizontal. Problem solved.

Now for another problem: In the course of fixing this issue I now have another. When I type text, it used to appear on my drawing as I typed. Now it only appears in the text box in the lower left corner of the screen and doesn't appear on the screen till I hit return.
#72473 by RParker
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:16 am
in the TEXT menu, check that "Dynamic" is turned on.
#72805 by artmanvt2000
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:04 am
I believe you may have clicked the "Compass" button in the Angle Type menu within the Settings menu. The "Compass" feature will make 0 degrees be up the screen. If clockwise (Clkwise) is selected, 90 degrees would be to the right. You can change the start angle to correct the issue.