Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#72605 by stephen11962
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:20 pm
My architectural scales are set to 1/32, 1/64, 1/128 and even 1/256. I do not know how such small numbers evolved. Help me get out of here! like 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16" would be fine. Just let me know how change from tiny to something more reasonable.
TIA
Stephen
#72606 by Ted B
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:55 pm
Definitely wishlist material: a default 1/8" is more accuracy than most framers can muster. The smaller factions as a choice is primarily for cabinetmakers and furniture designers. You need a setting at-least one-size smaller than your preferred-fraction just so the display-list can "split the difference".

For larger-scale work like site-plans and landscaping I'd like to round to 4-inches or larger. For site-work even 2-ft would be a good limit for large-scale projects. Importing someone-else's base-drawings can introduce all sorts of "funky-fractional distances" as Datacad rounds-off the distances. ...Then it takes time (Hours!!) to "fix" them.
#72610 by stephen11962
Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:06 am
I have to be more precise:
Roger, I was able to change the the parameters of the resultant dimensions according to your posting. BUT that is not my complaint. (This issue came up when I was drawing a non-architectural item.) I was using the Measure Line macro and then printing the result to the drawing. That is where the x/32nd inch haunts me. That is the largest fraction I can choose. Under Scale Type / architectural (or Inch/Frac) the 32/64/128/256 numbers appear.
So, rephrasing my question: can I change the choice of fractions under Settings/Scale Type/Arch or /Inch/Frac?
TIA
Stephen
#72612 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:46 pm
Hi Stephen,

I don't think you will be able to get the results you want from the measures menu. The measures menu will always show the exact length.

The only thing I can think of as a work around is to Dimension on one layer with rounding set to 1/8" and dimension the drawing, Explode the dimensions (or use Non associate dimension and Right click after each entry). Once you have completed the dimensioning, move the dimension TEXT to a separate layer using the mask command. The orig. Dim layer will be a junk layer.

Aaron
#72614 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:04 am
Thought I would add since I didn't really address your question:

"Under Scale Type / architectural (or Inch/Frac) the 32/64/128/256 numbers appear.
So, rephrasing my question: can I change the choice of fractions under Settings/Scale Type/Arch or /Inch/Frac?
"

Basic short answer - No. To the best of my knowledge (which is way limited compared to some here) this would be a function DataCAD LLC would have to implement.

Those numbers (32/64/128/256) are for the actual length "display" precision (vs. Dimension-ed length) when you use the "measures" or "identify" command ( I think I am probably saying this really badly - my apologies).

The only rounding options you have, and are able to have Datacad "print" those (rounded) numbers is in the Dimension settings .
#72616 by stephen11962
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:02 am
With this I will refrain from further comment:
But what is the definition or utility of 'actual or exact length'? In the real world, accuracy is always modified by some tolerance.

In DataCad there is no difference between 'dimensioning' and 'measuring' except in the ability to choose tolerances with 'dimensioning'. I was not expecting that difference.

Done. Thanks to all for reducing my confusion.

Stephen