Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#72814 by artmanvt2000
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:36 pm
We have recently been importing some drawings from AutoCAD. We discovered that the symbols (AutoCAD Blocks) are embedded in the file. They are not saved to the symbol folders. This got us thinking. Is there a means to save a symbol within the Datacad file?

Here is why we ask. In a renovation project, we show the existing in lighter line weights than the new. It would be nice to be able to import an symbol from the Symbols Browser and then save it to the drawing in two different version, one for existing and one for new. This would aid in reducing modification time by utilizing the use of symbols without cluttering the "master" symbols folders with duplicate symbols.

Think of how Sketchup uses components. You can insert a component, copy it, then modify one, by making it unique, without exploding the component.
#72815 by joshhuggins
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:37 am
Symbols should be getting layer on/off support in an upcoming update which you can create layers to toggle on say your lighter lines instead of your dark lines. There are several methods to using the new symbol layers so how it gets implemented will vary on your needs, but one method or another should work for what you need.

As of right now, I had been opening a symbol in the symbol editor and copying the contents to the clipboard, and the Ctrl+Shift+V to Paste as a new symbol that only live in the drawing , then reopening that symbol and recoloring it. We use it a lot for half-toning things way off in the distance.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#72816 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:30 am
artmanvt2000 wrote:We have recently been importing some drawings from AutoCAD. We discovered that the symbols (AutoCAD Blocks) are embedded in the file. They are not saved to the symbol folders. This got us thinking. Is there a means to save a symbol within the Datacad file?

If you [Ctrl]+[Right-click] in any empty space in the drawing , there is an option "Save all drawing Symbols to a folder" in that context menu.

Dave
#72818 by artmanvt2000
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:18 am
Josh, The layering could be useful, but I think having two different symbols may be simpler.

Dave, Your response didn't answer my question. We don't want to save the AutoCAD blocks to a symbols folder. My question had to do with saving a symbol directly to a Datacad file without needing to save the symbol to a symbols folder. When I double click on an unexploded symbol inserted from the symbols browser, it shows the full path of the symbol, where it is in the symbol folders. With unexploded AutoCAD blocks (symbols) there is no path.

I did some experimenting this morning. I created a new symbol in a symbols folder, added the symbol to a drawing, then deleted the symbol from the symbols folder. The symbol remained in the drawing and was editable, but was no longer in my symbols folder. Why isn't there a shorter command to allow the saving of a symbol directly in the Datacad file? Seems like this could be done.
#72819 by artmanvt2000
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:47 am
We found the solution to our question. If we use in "Paste as Symbol" in the Edit Pulldown, or using Ctrl + Shift + V. This allows one to insert the entities selected with the clipboard as a symbol that is saved directly in the file. A big hint to do is to make sure you select insertion point when creating the clipboard selection.

Thanks for all that have taken the time to read my posts.