Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#73025 by jimgoodman
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:48 pm
I am updating our default drawings. Is there a way to select all layers in a drawing and set global z-base & z-height values? These are empty layers without any entities.

Ideally, all layers could be selected in the layer manager with "Z by layer" checked and enter the new global z base and z height.

Thanks
#73029 by ORWoody
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:13 pm
Are the Z-Base and Z-Height layer independent?
If you have your Z settings at 0, I think all are at 0.
If you have entities on multiple layers that you also want to be at 0, just turn all layers On and Window extents. Change by area to 0 and 0 and you would be finished.
I hope this is what you were asking. Since it was really about empty default drawings the Z settings should be global.
If it isn't a global setting, I've sure been using it incorrectly for a long time.
Woody
#73030 by joshhuggins
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:26 pm
ORWoody wrote:Are the Z-Base and Z-Height layer independent?
You can set them per layer in the Layer Manager, just can't set them to the same value as Jim is wishing. Selecting multiple layers in the LM and setting new values in the two boxes below seem to make the most sense to me too Jim.
#73052 by jimgoodman
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:20 pm
joshhuggins wrote:
ORWoody wrote:Are the Z-Base and Z-Height layer independent?
You can set them per layer in the Layer Manager, just can't set them to the same value as Jim is wishing. Selecting multiple layers in the LM and setting new values in the two boxes below seem to make the most sense to me too Jim.

Well then, let's add this to the wishlist for DataCAD 20!!!!
#73083 by dhs
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:43 pm
It would be easy to write a macro to do what you are requesting. Try the one I have uploaded to http://www.dhsoftware.com.au/downloads/beta/Z.zip!

This is a very basic macro that took less than half an hour to write and I have only done very basic testing, so use it at your own risk! But I think it does what you want.

I have included the source code in the z file in case anybody feels the need to enhance it. I may add a bit more functionality myself and release it on my web site when I get time (yes Jim, I am still working on the thing you requested a few months ago ... but not spending much time on DataCAD just at the moment).

Regards,
David H.
#73085 by jimgoodman
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:30 am
Thanks David:

I am traveling today but will give this a try this evening or tomorrow morning.

I need to do some additional testing on the other macro as well.
#73102 by jimgoodman
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:51 pm
dhs wrote:It would be easy to write a macro to do what you are requesting. Try the one I have uploaded to http://www.dhsoftware.com.au/downloads/beta/Z.zip!

This is a very basic macro that took less than half an hour to write and I have only done very basic testing, so use it at your own risk! But I think it does what you want.

I have included the source code in the z file in case anybody feels the need to enhance it. I may add a bit more functionality myself and release it on my web site when I get time (yes Jim, I am still working on the thing you requested a few months ago ... but not spending much time on DataCAD just at the moment).

Regards,
David H.

I am testing the macro. After I set the desired z-base and z-height, how do I tell the macro to actually change the values in the drawings?
#73103 by jimgoodman
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:55 pm
I see how it works now.
I had "Z by Layer" checked and when I unchecked it, all the layers were changed to the values set in the macro. If I check "Z by Layer" again, each layer now has the global value.
Very cool