Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#74473 by SawyerCD
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:58 pm
Hi there fellow DataCAD users. Does anyone know if there is a way to export custom wall types you created in DataCAD. I've just updated computers and I have custom wall types in DataCAD on my old computer that are not showing in DataCAD on my new computer. (FYI I'm using the same license just switching which one I have activated). I was able to locate and copy and paste some custom pen tables to my new computer and I'd like to do the same thing for all of my custom wall types if there is a way to do it. I'm using DataCAD 19 by the way. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
#74474 by Roger D
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:31 pm
Smart wall definitions are located in
C:\DataCAD 19\Support Files\Wall Types
Just copy the .wls files.

You will also find smart doors & windows under
C:\DataCAD 19\Support Files
#74475 by joshhuggins
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:02 pm
Roger D wrote:Smart wall definitions are located in
C:\DataCAD 19\Support Files\Wall Types
Just copy the .wls files.

You will also find smart doors & windows under
C:\DataCAD 19\Support Files

If you don't see anything at these paths, the tyypes probably only live in your drawings and you will need to make sure you use the Save As button at the bottom of the managers to save the types out to .WLS, .DOR, .WIN files.
#74492 by SawyerCD
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:03 am
Thanks for replying guys! I have saved my wall types with various names so I can switch between them easily using the wall manager. The smart walls folder did not contain any of my wall types. Just an FYI all of my wall types are just 2d walls. If they are just specific to my drawing is anyone aware of a way to get them into another drawing? Maybe they are saved somewhere in the drawing where I could copy them or something?

Thanks for the help!
#74494 by Roger D
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:09 pm
You can export the layer(s) they are on and then import them to another drawing. Fire/Purge or Layers/Export or Layer Sets/Create
You can import the layer with them on to an existing drawing. File/Import
You could have a default layer with an instance of each typical wall/door in you default drawing, so they are always in a new drawing when you start it. This could be a dummy layer that just holds the instances.
Must be other ways, save to symbols? ......
#74495 by joshhuggins
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:14 pm
If they are not in the default locations listed above on your old computer, you could use Windows File Explorer's search box to search your old computers hard drive for the following file types:

*.WLS*
*.DOR*
*.WIN*

You could also look at the Program Prefs, Paths tab to see what the path was set on your old computer to see if maybe you were saving them to a different location than the default.

If you still can't find them you will have to use the different entity Managers' Save As function to save out the different types. It's usually a good idea to save each type to a file when they are created or updated for just this reason unless it's really a special single use case kind of entity.