Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#74889 by Kate Wylie
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:14 am
Hello, my firm does a lot of material percentage calculations for city permitting purposes. I would like to know if there is a way to select more than one hatch area and automatically sum up the areas at once. I've drawn a poly around the majority of the hatches to combine them, but the aforementioned technique would save ample time adding hatch areas of e.g. brick vs. stucco on a building facade manually. Thanks, in advance!
#74891 by joshhuggins
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:25 pm
Yup. Go into the F7 Measures menu, S5 Area / Perimeter, F9 Select, and then after you pick the first hatch/polyline, click the S5 Area+ option to add the subsequent selections to get a running total in the Attention Bar.
#74892 by dmartens
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:26 pm
If you go to measures, area/per and choose select, you can pick the 1st hatch and get the area. then just select area + and continue picking hatches and get a running total.
#74893 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:36 pm
Welcome to the DataCAD Forum, Kate!

Another way to do this (there is almost always another way in DataCAD!) - is to make one area the Master, and the other areas into "voids" outside of it. Then you just need to select one, and you'll get the area of all at once.
#74912 by Kate Wylie
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:42 am
Thank you, everyone! Happy to be here. This forum has helped with time efficiency on other items. I just couldn't find this particular thread addressed so I created an account! :)

Yes, ideally I was looking for a single click total like Neil expressed. Reason being is that we have a lot of hatches on one elevation. (e.g. The façade undulates and has parts where materials are brought to the 2nd level vs. the 4th level and line weights are implemented with our color charts etc.)

So, rather than adding them while clicking each one I'm looking for an "area" selection for the entire façade total at once if that makes sense.
#74930 by joshhuggins
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:16 am
Kate Wylie wrote:So, rather than adding them while clicking each one I'm looking for an "area" selection for the entire façade total at once if that makes sense.
Hmm maybe Dave could add EGAFM selection to the Area/Perim, F9 Select menu so it could total all selected polylines? Would need some smarts so it could track which items have already been counted so multiple selections / continued additions could be made. Sounds like a good wish list item to me! :D