Need advice on hardware? Ask questions and share your opinions here.
#75118 by RParker
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:12 am
Looking at getting a laptop, would like recommendations. Budget is big consideration but usability is #1. Not looking for "cutting edge", just want it to work.
This is what I am looking at: 17" monitor, integrated numeric keypad, I5 or 7, 8 gb ram, 256 SSD, NVidia card with 2 GB min. Will probably have external optical and larger hard drives. Will connect to dual monitors, keyboard, mouse at home. Am I missing anything? Newegg has this for under 600.00.
Primarily DataCAD (upgrading to 20), maybe 2020 Cabinet. Weight, battery life not as big of a concern.
T.I.A.
#75120 by RParker
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:13 am
If anyone has an opinion, this goes off sale Monday.
#75122 by David Porter
Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:18 am
I would bump the NVIDIA card to 4 or 8 GB if it is available, especially if you might get into doing some 3D models rendering. I am about to start using Enscape rendering software and because I like what it can do so much, I need to replace a one-year old laptop because it is not powerful enough to handle the Enscape graphics.

Definitely go with the integrated numeric keypad. Another mistake I made with my current laptop is not getting that. The PgUp key is the same as the arrow up key so to use the PgUp key, I had to find and install a keyboard script that allows me to use the Shift key and the PgUp key. Real pain and took some getting used to. The PgUp and arrow key is separate with the numeric keypad.

In the new laptop I am getting, my IT consultant said the I5 is fine and preferred.

I think the HD is way undersized at 256 GB. About half of that will get gobbled up just with the operating system. I would splurge for a 1 TB drive and you won't look back at not having enough storage space or worrying about what's in the laptop and what it is in the detached, accessory HD.
#75124 by RParker
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:43 am
Thanks for the info.
#75127 by Dave
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:17 am
The new M.2 drives are the way to go sooo fast

DaveR