Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#75853 by Lars
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:11 pm
I'm trying to draw a 3D sloped mansard roof plane around 3 sides of a wall. I've tried setting two different Polylines at the necessary Zbase heights and draping a mesh, 3D polygons, (BTW: inclines strangely ONLY draw in 2D), Generate Polygon Surface, all yielding poor or no results. Everything I can generate is triangulated... this creates MULTIPLE drawing elements rather than a single object. (Not to mention that the roof plan and elevations will print with the triangulation elements showing in the field of the roof where there should be nothing drawn.)

All I want is a simple 4 points to define the extents of each plane. How can I do this efficiently in DC?
Is there a 3D Sweep along path tool? (or anything that will eliminate the triangulation?)

Secondly, I'll be attempting to take elevations and sections of this model. Does DC allow for model views to be placed on drawing sheets? How are these updated when I make changes to the model? How does DC auto-coordinate the callout tags so I dont have to go back and chase changes (if there are any alterations) later on in the project?

Thanks!
#75860 by Mark F. Madura
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:11 pm
In the Reference Manual in Chapter 21, you'll find a section called Drawing Inclined 3D Polygons and Slabs. You can use these tools to create individual roof planes. You'll also want to look at 3D Inclined Polygons & Slabs: Pitch / Angle / Grade and 3D Inclined Polygons & Slabs: Properties Editor in the What's New in DataCAD? manual.

You can access either of these documents via Help, What's New? and Help, Reference Manual.
#75862 by Mark F. Madura
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:27 pm
Any view of your model can be placed on a Multi-Scale Plotting Sheet. Depending on the complexity of your model, you might be able to use the XREF Hide option. This saves a hidden line image of the XREF in the current view and stores it as a symbol. You can use the Update Hide option to to update the image after you've made changes to the model. However, this feature is not practical on large, complex models.
#75863 by joshhuggins
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:34 pm
For simple pitched slabs I use the 3D Tools macro's 3D Plane, Pitch Slab. I think this macro is included with Datacad now.

There is also the Roof It macro, which can block out typical roofs styles.

There is also a Roof Builider Tools macro but I have not tried it.

Wozzers! Mark blasted out a bunch of goodness while I was typing! :lol:
#75864 by Mark F. Madura
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:38 pm
I'm not directly familiar with 'auto-coordinated call out tags.' However, any entity in DataCAD can be hyper-linked to a File, URL, or GoTo View. This allows you to relate a tag to a particular view of your drawing. You can also hyperlink to a GoTo View in an external file. In the What's New? manual, search for 'Hyperlink to File and GoTo View'.

Your tags should be symbols, and those symbols should have symbol text attributes that can be customized when you place them.
#75872 by Lars
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:12 am
I'm definitely interested in "relating tags." I want DC to link the detail/section tag with its location/number on a specific sheet. If I move or change the sheet tag, then the model tag updates without me having to manually make the changes.
#77345 by Lane
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:53 pm
I have a file that I made a new iteration of, with GTVs of the model elevations, which have all worked perfectly in past iterations. Just today (running 21.02.09.00) DataCAD crashes when I try to update the hide and also when I tried to regenerate the hide. Any ideas about what is causing this?
Attachments
hide-GTV-crash.png
hide-GTV-crash.png (5.89 KiB) Viewed 9222 times
update-hide-crash.png
update-hide-crash.png (5.56 KiB) Viewed 9222 times