Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#76117 by Norm Duffley
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:06 pm
Hi all - X3 user here

I've recently noticed that 7 of 15 colors look different (hue, luminescence ?)
in vertical orientation than they do in horizontal orientation. See pic. I rolled back
new NVidia drivers 418.81 to 391.35 but that did not help.

Any thoughts as to whether this problem is caused by my monitor (Dell P2715Q)
or by X3 or by the graphics drivers ?

Thanks, Norm

Misc Woodworking Projects.aec.jpg
Misc Woodworking Projects.aec.jpg (20.22 KiB) Viewed 11498 times
#76119 by joshhuggins
Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:57 am
They look the same to me on that screenshot so I would guess it's a display issue. Have you tried calibrating your monitor? What version of windows are you running?
#76126 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:10 am
I'm guessing that the pixels on your LCD monitor are limiting the viewing angle. This is often an issue with some types of displays. The best kind of LCD display that has the widest viewing angle, are called IPS - in-plane switching.

All LCD monitors have little "shutters" in each pixel, which are tiny "pinholes" in the screen. The screen has some thickness, and the shutters are effectively in tiny tunnels. IPS panels have the shutters as close to the front of the pinholes as possible, so the light from each pixel is visible from almost any angle.

NewEgg lets you filter for both IPS panels, and for the widest viewing angles (178 degrees horizontal and vertical):

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100160979%20600107132%20600557170%20600556721%20600012217&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36
#76128 by Norm Duffley
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:25 am
Thanks for the reply Neil

I should have been more clear : this problem is not something that has been happening all along and I only just noticed it.
This is something that has not happened before and that is now happening. Why, of course, is another matter.

I'm running Windows 10 v1803, Build 17134.648. My P2115Q is a 4K monitor and has an AH-IPS panel which I have not calibrated. Attached is an enhanced jpg
which more closely shows what is on the monitor. I've been playing around with the monitor's preset modes this morning and learned a couple of things: of the 8
presets only "paper" displays the colors the same (both hor. & vert.). Also: Dell Display Manager lets you assign DataCAD to start in whatever mode you want. Which means that I can continue to run Lightroom, etc in "standard" mode. Sweet!

Enhanced.jpg
#76130 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:12 pm
Ah, okay - thanks for the clarification. If the monitor profiles can be applied to specific programs, then that is important. How is it connected to your video card? Is it DVI, HDMI, or Display Port? What ports are available on the video card?

At home, I have a 32" 2K monitor, and here at work I have two 28" 4K monitors. The home monitor is an LG IPS, and the work ones are Acer, and are not IPS. I use Display Port connections on all of them, and the quality is excellent. When I tried using DVI on one of the 4K monitors - it was awful. Though, that was on my 10+ year old computer with Intel onboard video, so that is probably part of the problem.
#76136 by Norm Duffley
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:53 pm
I'm using Display Port to connect a 6 gig EVGA GForce 1060 gpu. Have had no hardware problems at all, until now, since I
built this rig a couple of years ago. Not much into gaming anymore so my stock i7-3770K cpu with 16 gigs of ram will do
for quite awhile yet.

Regards,

Norm