Post off topic threads here.
#76381 by pjdixit
Tue May 14, 2019 10:01 am
"
The workflow for architects is very slick. Simply click the “See in Twinmotion” button in Revit or ArchiCAD and the entire project is synchronised in Twinmotion in a few seconds. Once the data has been brought in, it’s easy to use and even novices are able to create compelling output with ease, including images, panoramas, videos and 360° videos." - https://aecmag.com/technology-mainmenu- ... -away-free

I would love to build similar functionality in DataCAD.

I have been developing pieces to make it happen with CADFlux 3D Visualization engine (http://www.cadflux.com/gallery) which we are developing in-house at Dixit Systems. It is in early stages but you can get a glimpse of how it works with some sample files -

1. http://www.cadflux.com/viewer?modelFile=Factory%20Framework.obj

2. http://www.cadflux.com/viewer?modelFile=Spiral%20Staircase.stl

3.http://www.cadflux.com/viewer?modelFile=Hujvik%20Faucet.obj

4.http://www.cadflux.com/viewer?modelFile=Home%20Construction%20Project.step
#76405 by Mark Bell
Sun May 19, 2019 10:43 pm
This appears similar to Lumion and has become very popular over here to the point many flythroughs now look similar ...obviously, given they all build the scenes from the same asset libraries! From a design to presentation point of view, it certainly saves time and allows quick changes to be seen instantly. For other DataCAD users it's worth noting that Twinmotion works well with DataCAD models including smart entities. All the textures/materials assigned to smart entities and O2C transfer through using several formats (DXF, 3DS, SKP, STL) allowing a design to be quickly populated from the various library objects available. I can see the industry heading this way quickly as I'd guess most offices are short on time and resources so software like this allow you to keep up with demand.

"I would love to build similar functionality in DataCAD." - I'd like you to do that too :D

Your own Dixit Systems site looks interesting, though I wasn't able to do anything with the models loaded - they appeared to be just images?

Something to keep in mind, when progressing a project there is the upfront presentation aspect and the construction documentation end of it, which in reality, is the bigger portion of the project drawings and time frame. I don't know whether you have access to the O2C code, but being able to insert an O2C model on a MSP sheet inside DataCAD, then have the output PDF include a window where the O2C model can be viewed, would be very useful. It would allow 3D details to be added to construction drawings. These are presently done as static JPG's or HLR's. Giving the contractor the ability to manouevre around in the O2C window would be a better way to allow the information to be viewed from multiple angles, and then printed by the user. Maybe output to an animated GIF could be an alternative? Keep this in mind when developing your own viewer that connects to DataCAD as it gives us more options in how to use it.
#76431 by pjdixit
Tue May 28, 2019 11:07 am
Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for sharing your input. Please keep it coming!

Your own Dixit Systems site looks interesting, though I wasn't able to do anything with the models loaded - they appeared to be just images?

If you click on the model thumbnail on the gallery page http://www.cadflux.com/gallery, it will open up a 3D viewer in your browser. You can rotate the model by simply left click + dragging the mouse and zoom in/out by using scroll-wheel of the mouse. The controls and rendering is very basic at the moment but it will improve significantly over next few months.

Here is a brief demo video: https://youtu.be/rwB8_5x27OI

[I don't know whether you have access to the O2C code, but being able to insert an O2C model on a MSP sheet inside DataCAD, then have the output PDF include a window where the O2C model can be viewed, would be very useful.

I don't have access to O2C code but it won't be required. Instead of O2C window, will a 3D PDF work for you? https://tetra4d.com/pdf-samples/
#76441 by Mark Bell
Wed May 29, 2019 7:57 pm
Hello Prasad,

Thanks for the extra links. The exciting part is your software being integrated with/within DataCAD. Some further ideas to keep in mind when progressing the development:

CADFlux / 3D PDF

1. Include a dynamic 3D section tool allowing the user to cut through a building to visualise the inside. This helps demonstrate to clients/consultants/contractors and is useful during the design stage,
2. Save and print selected views,
3. Save GTV's similar to DataCAD, - maybe also import GTV's from the model in DataCAD?
4. Include the ability to 'auto spin' the model and let it animate, similar to O2C, and if possible, save the output if a walk-through is generated, ie save to MP4 or other visual playback format,
5. Include a real world sun shader for accurate sun/shadow analysis,
6. Include a variety of visual effects for various presentation outputs,
7. Include as many translators as practical to import/export data from other systems, ie, .rvt/.rva would give DataCAD users access to hundred's of thousands of BIM objects from suppliers and manufacturers to add to projects, output to 3D printers to print models etc.,
8. Consider making the software usable for a number of disciplines/end-users, ie, use as a panorama viewer with a selection of lenses, MP4 playback of proposals, VR? or even a live update so changes made in a DataCAD model are updated in the CADFlux viewer 'real time'?
9. The 3D PDF works great, especially given it is stand alone and can be used without a web browser or being connected to the internet. Ideally, it would be useful to be able to define an "object window" on a DataCAD MSP sheet to insert the 3D model and viewer so the output PDF works as per the examples on the Tetra4D website. If it's impractical to implement this inside DataCAD, then perhaps updating an existing PDF to add this and create a new PDF incorporating it? Handling everything inside DataCAD would be preferred,
10. Again, if the 3D 'window' added to a PDF sheet could allow multiple formats (item eight), it allows the PDF to be used in a number of ways for both presentation and documentation.

Just some thoughts that may give direction for additional features. Over here (Australia), the architecture/design industry has gone very visual. It's not always practical for clients to be at your office as they may be overseas or interstate. Sending a PDF set of drawings which includes the ability to explore a 3D design and watch a pre-recorded animation/MP4 together with the drawings, all in one format (PDF) looks more professional and is more convenient for document control. I'm not a programmer so will let you scratch your head on how best to implement them. :D
#76443 by John Daglish
Fri May 31, 2019 11:47 am
We have to do insertions of projets into photos of existing conditions.

Since DCAD Shader cannot use textures /tilable bitmaps (about time it should), then if there was an accurate setup procedure for perspectives like S1 Set Persp. in DCAD this would be good to see in CADFlux. Is it possible?
#76450 by Mark F. Madura
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:50 pm
John Daglish wrote:We have to do insertions of projets into photos of existing conditions. Since DCAD Shader cannot use textures /tilable bitmaps (about time it should), then if there was an accurate setup procedure for perspectives like S1 Set Persp. in DCAD this would be good to see in CADFlux. Is it possible?
Hello John,

You should use the Object Viewer for this purpose. There are a couple of o2c-related keys in DCADWIN.ini that you'll want to change to make setting up your interior/exterior perspective views easier.

[o2cViewer]
LoadDataCADView=TRUE
; This causes the view in the Object Viewer to match the current perspective view from DataCAD.
Remember Last View=FALSE
; This needs to be set to FALSE if LoadDataCADView is TRUE. Otherwise, the last view from o2c will 'step' on the previous view from DataCAD.
Model_Z_Angle=180
; o2c's world space is 180 degrees opposite from DataCAD's. So the model needs to be rotated to match.
Texture_Z_Angle=270
; This is optional. By default, horizontal textures (bitmaps applied to horizontal surfaces) are rotated 90 degrees from the original as viewed on the hard drive. Rotating them 90 degrees would correct this, but you have to add the model rotation to it, so the bitmap needs to be rotated 270 degrees.

With these settings, you should be able to set up your interior/exterior perspective view in DataCAD. Use GoTo Views to create multiple view points. Then launch o2c while displaying the view in DataCAD and the result in the Object Viewer should match. You can use the GoTo View option in the Object Viewer to save and recall the matching views.

Hope this helps,

MFM
Attachments
Photogrammetric.jpg
Photo merge cell phone pic and o2c