Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 21 and DataCAD LT 21.
#76445 by seasdes
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:12 pm
I draw dimensions so that the dimension text is drawn in line. The dimension text is drawn with a knockout that obscures part of the dimension line. This is what I want.
However when I reposition the dimension text to some other place on the dimension line I find that the dimension text no longer hides the dimension lines. This has happened over a number of versions of Datacad.
How do I get the knockout to work?
#76461 by Mark Bell
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:36 am
Hi Seasdes,

In Dimension, try Linear / Change / Text Position then left mouse pick on the dim string text and reposition it where you require. Note, if you pick F1 Default, the dims will auto place to the centre of the dimension line.

Whilst in Text Position, then pick the dimension text F1 Rotate will appear in the side menu allowing you to rotate and place the text.

Ctrl + right click over the text will let you turn on KO and repeat to adjust the size. Also check that View/KO's has Compatibility Mode Off (unless exporting to DWG etc.)

This should do....
#76462 by Mark Bell
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:41 am
forgot to mention, if you use the move entities pull down icon, then select move To Front, you can move the recently moved dim text with KO 'over' the dimension line so it once again cuts out the line.
#76466 by joshhuggins
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:34 am
I can confirm what seasdes is seeing. When the Associated dimensions are created the text must be created last so it properly knocksout the dimensions line, but once the text is re-positioned it no longer knocks out the dimensions line, I would guess because that process must to something that changes the text's display order to be drawn before the linework. Dave will probably need to tweak the dim text reposition feature to draw the text higher in the display order or something along those lines I would guess.
#76467 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 am
seasdes wrote:I draw dimensions so that the dimension text is drawn in line. The dimension text is drawn with a knockout that obscures part of the dimension line. This is what I want.
However when I reposition the dimension text to some other place on the dimension line I find that the dimension text no longer hides the dimension lines. This has happened over a number of versions of Datacad.
How do I get the knockout to work?

Please send me a drawing (a simple drawing please) that displays this behavior.

Regards,
Dave
#76468 by joshhuggins
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:59 am
David A. Giesselman wrote:Please send me a drawing (a simple drawing please) that displays this behavior.
He has a file attached to the post above that I tested with and I also was able to duplicate it in one of my files as well.