The DataCAD Developer Network (DDN) is an online resource for information and support for DCAL® (DataCAD Applications Language) developers as well as anyone interested in creating fonts, toolbars, hatch patterns, or linetypes for use in DataCAD.
#76822 by Mark Bell
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:44 pm
Hi David,

The macro is coming together well. Some items to note:

The text size created for labels is very small and doesn't match the existing text size settings used in the Text menu. Screenshot below:
If the printer scale is changed to adjust the relative text size and further spaces and labels generated the label text size remains micro size. The screen shot shows standard text indicator at size 3.5 (light mgta) and the text label in the centre (white) which when Identified gives text size=0.

073119a.jpg

When generating an open side shape using contour, the macro didn't crash.

I'm unsure whether this is feasible with a macro; currently, opening the macro will force labels to update so if a space has changed the area will automatically update. Consider adding an icon that can be floating or docked into the menu's that when selected, updates the labels so areas are made current to reflect changes. The ideal situation is to have dynamic readouts so the areas update as the space is changed, but I assume this is beyond the capabilities of the macro.

If I use Move text, and move a label so it sits outside the space, then Update labels, the text updates but remains located outside the space. Is it worth adding a feature where a user can tick so labels reposition back inside the spaces?
#76823 by dhs
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:33 pm
Mark wrote: I'm unsure whether this is feasible with a macro; currently, opening the macro will force labels to update so if a space has changed the area will automatically update. Consider adding an icon that can be floating or docked into the menu's that when selected, updates the labels so areas are made current to reflect changes.
I think what you are asking is pretty much there already (without a floating icon). You can disable the automatic update of labels in the 'Processing Options' tab of the settings form. If that is disabled then opening the macro will not force the labels to update.Image
You can then force the labels to refresh by going to the Refresh/Update menu (F0 from the main menu) and selecting [F1 Refresh All]
Is it worth adding a feature where a user can tick so labels reposition back inside the spaces?
You can currently move labels back to the center of the space 1 by 1 using the [F1 To Centroid] option when moving a label using the macro's [F5 Mov/Rot Label] function (located on the 'Edit Spaces' menu. I'll give some thought to an easier way to move multiple labels back to the center.

text size created for labels is very small and doesn't match the existing text size settings
. I haven't experience this. I have one thought on what could be causing it, but are you able to email me a file that displays this behaviour so that I can check it out. When you first use the macro it is meant to default to the current text size setting, but that is then saved and will be used in future uses unless you change it. Are you able to change the text size using the Labels tab on the settings form ?

Thanks,
David H.
#76879 by dhs
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:21 pm
I have just put an updated beta version of the macro on my web site (you can access it from the page at https://www.dhsoftware.com.au/SpacesBeta.html which also lists the changes made in each version).
The main changes in this release are to the way Text Scale is handled (which was causing the text size problem reported by Mark Bell), and a fix to the Excel Export functionality.

Note to anybody using the new version after having used the previous version with Text Scale: Check (and fix if necessary) the label text size settings before creating any new spaces.

Regards,
David H.
#76882 by Mark Bell
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:58 pm
Hi David,
It's improved but still appears incorrect with the text scaling. The screenshot below shows text at 3.5mm, the top view with plot scale at 1:500 and the bottom at 1:50 with the corresponding Alt+T text to the right of each room shape. The macro text is responding to the print scale but doesn't display at the legible size as per Alt+T.

082119a.jpg
#76885 by dhs
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:37 pm
Hi Mark,

The text is all displaying the correct size when I test this.
Did you check the label text size settings in the macro before creating the spaces? (Due to the change in the way the macro stores the text scale setting, the size set in the previous version may not carry over to this new version correctly - but once set it should be maintained correctly by this version).

If everything looks ok with the label text size settings, would you be willing to send me your default drawing in case there is something there that is causing me to get different results.

Thanks,
David H.
#76888 by Mark Bell
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:02 am
Hello David,

Yes, the Label Settings were at 0.07mm. This may be a carry over from its previous use in the previous file which used the earlier macro? Once adjusted to 3.5mm it works fine.
Thanks.
#76889 by dhs
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:30 am
Thanks Mark,
It would have been the settings from the previous version that caused the problem this time:

Most of the settings in the macro are stored in 2 ways:
  1. In the drawing file where the macro is used. These settings are used whenever you subsequently use the macro in that file (or in a file that was copied from it).
  2. In an ini file. The settings in the ini file will reflect the most recent setting saved in any drawing file. The ini file settings are used anytime you use the macro in a new file (or a file that has not previously saved that particular setting)
In the case of the label text size I had anticipated there could be problems with the stored settings from the previous version. Now that you have saved the settings the new values will be used not only in the drawing you set them in, but also in any new drawing (assuming that the settings do not exist in your default drawing!). But if you have other drawings where you used the previous version of the macro then you may need to update the text size settings in those files also.
#76890 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:55 am
Hi David,

I just downloaded v0.0.0.26, and it says Error opening file for writing: MACROS\Spaces.dmx Click Abort to stop installation, Retry to try again, or Ignore to skip this file

Should I just delete the file before installing this version?
#76893 by dhs
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:25 pm
Error opening file for writing: MACROS\Spaces.dmx

Hi Neil,
Typically that error means the file is in use. Check if the macro is currently open in DataCAD (if it is, exit the macro and then click the 'Retry' button).

You can certainly try to delete the file and then select 'Retry', as the macro simply installs a new copy, but if the file is in use then Windows may not allow you to delete it.

If you have multiple drawings open then you will need to check if the macro is open in any of them (e.g. Ctrl/Tab in DataCAD to step through each drawing and check if the macro is open in each file).

Spaces.dmx is the main macro file. If you skip it then the new version will not be installed (this is version 0.0.0.26 - the version number of the macro is displayed in DataCAD's message area immediately after you open the macro).

Rgds,
David H.
#76920 by Roger D
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:33 pm
Can it do math? i.e. if I wanted to use to determine occupant load for a room, I'd enter Name and Occupancy ratio (i.e. 100 sf/person for an office)
And then the macro could do the math, rounding up to the next full person, or maybe that could be switch (Round up, Round down, Sign Digits). The label would show the count, and a report could total for a floor.
#76921 by dhs
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:53 pm
Can it do math? i.e. if I wanted to use to determine occupant load for a room, I'd enter Name and Occupancy ratio (i.e. 100 sf/person for an office)
And then the macro could do the math, rounding up to the next full person, or maybe that could be switch (Round up, Round down, Sign Digits). The label would show the count, and a report could total for a floor.

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the suggestion ... the ability to include formulas in the label and/or report definitions is something I have thought about, and your suggestion of using it to calculate occupancy is a good example of how this could be used.

This will not be possible in the initial version, but is something that I definitely plan to add in the (hopefully not too distant) future.

The actual release of the Spaces macro is likely to be a month away yet, as I won't formally release it until the user manual and demonstration video are complete. My plan at the moment is to take a few months break from Space Planner immediately after release (except that I will obviously address any bugs that are reported during those few months). I have some ideas for adding reporting functionality to the Shadow Macro that I plan to work on in those few months. Following those few months I plan to return my focus to Spaces Macro to add various enhancements (including formulas in the label/report options).

Best Regards,
David
#76930 by dhs
Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:59 pm
My installation issue was that the installer had MACROS, and not C:\DataCAD 21\Macros. I had to type it in.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for letting me know what the issue was. The installer is meant to pick up the correct path from the datacad configuration file. Presumably you had installed it previously without this issue?
Would you be able to email me a copy of your dcadwin.ini so that I can look into the issue.

Rgds,
David H.
#76963 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:12 am
Yes, I installed an earlier version with no issues.

When I use the Spaces / Edit Spaces / Add Corner, there is a brief delay after each pick, and it takes about 6 clicks to get it to select an edge of the Spaces polyline. When I use the DataCAD Curves / Polyline / Edit / Add Vertex, it selects the edge immediately.