Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 21 and DataCAD LT 21.
#76929 by mcollins138
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:42 am
Have been a Datacad user since it was introduced, does anyone have a solution for generating autoturns
#76931 by MtnArch
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:35 pm
I've been asking Dave G. for this for a LOOOOONNNNNNG time, but I guess other than you no one else has been clamoring for a solution. I've had to rely on purchasing the AutoTURN add-on for my BricsCAD license.

Hopefully we'll get some other voices here asking for this!!!
#76932 by joshhuggins
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:12 pm
Maybe David H might want to tackle it as his next Macro after he wraps on Spaces?
#76933 by Mark Bell
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:15 pm
This would be a good addition. We presently have to rely on static templates and interpolate the swept paths. A macro or some other add-on would be useful.
#76934 by MtnArch
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:58 pm
Dave H. would be a good resource too. When I discussed it with Dave G. he didn't feel like it would be too tough to create.

Hopefully one of the Dave's will respond!!
#76937 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:04 am
I've used it and it's a nice alternative - for BricsCAD (and it's free). For me it's been worth paying the yearly maintenance fee for the additional functionality of AutoTURN. What I've been hoping for is one that's built for DataCAD.
#76946 by John Daglish
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:56 am
Attached is an excel spread sheet developed by Charles Brewer (new urbanist/ developer/ high tech entrepreneur) that relates "The Interaction of Curb Radii, Vehicle Turning Radius, and the Distance from Curb that Turns Begin and Ends".

"To make a long story short, we don't start and end our turns with our wheels right up against the curb. We start some distance out from the curb. For example, if we are on the far side of a row of parked cars, we will be at
least 7 feet from the curb when we start/end our turn. This has a huge, and precisely quantifiable, impact on what curb radii will work without us hitting the curb."

This is very useful and could be included in the Autoturn software (if not already?). A problem with many streets is that the curb radius is much to big encouraging higher speeds (and accidents), reducing pedestrian convenience by pulling pedestrian crossings back from corners (you have longer to walk) ,... . In Europe as our streets are not very wide often the stop line at traffic lights is many metres/feet behind the traffic lights to allow bigger vehicles to encroach into the lane when turning.
Attachments
(19.5 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
#76947 by dhs
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:14 pm
Josh wrote:
Maybe David H might want to tackle it as his next Macro after he wraps on Spaces?

and then Alan wrote:
When I discussed it with Dave G. he didn't feel like it would be too tough to create ... Hopefully one of the Dave's will respond!!

ok, I'll bite ... but I have a couple other things that I am planning to do in the next several months, so wouldn't be looking at this for quite a while in any event.

The project does interest me. I'm not familiar with either AutoTURN or BricsTURN (nor with any other such software), but I'm assuming that a diagram of the actual swept vehicle envelope is the required output, and that this could be produced for various standard vehicle types (or would there be a need to allow you to design your own vehicle?)

It seems to me that there are a lot of variables that would need to be taken into account ... things that come to mind are not only the turning circle of each vehicle, but also its size and articulation characteristics, speed (and also speed at which the driver will turn the steering wheel unless we assume that he stops at the start of the turn and then turns the wheels to the required angle before proceeding again), the vehicle overhang in front of and behind wheels as well as to the side ... Maybe I'm over-complicating it, but I perceive it as being quite a complex bit of work!

I will plan to look into this further in due course, so if anybody would like to have input into the way such a macro would be designed I would be pleased enough to hear from you so that I have some basic requirements if I do get to the stage of trying to implement something along these lines.

Regards,
David H.
#76948 by Mark Bell
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:28 am
David H wrote "ok, I'll bite ... but I have a couple other things that I am planning to do in the next several months, so wouldn't be looking at this for quite a while in any event."

Thanks David. There's a number of Australian Standards that specify vehicle type and the swept paths etc. so I'll send them across when you're ready to start, just let me know. The main thing to remember here is the steering wheel is on the right side and the vehicles are on the left side....
#76950 by MtnArch
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:22 am
The US has AASHTO.
#77545 by DBrennfoerder
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:14 pm
I'd like to see something like AutoTurn also for DataCAD. I've used some copies of templates. Those assume some standard of front overhang and some standard of turning radius. It would seem that the distance from turning wheels to driving wheels would be as important as distance to trailing wheels, but Mark, I don't see how which side the steering wheel is on could impact any factor.
#77548 by Mark Bell
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:32 am
"Mark, I don't see how which side the steering wheel is on could impact any factor." .. a bit of tongue-in-cheek when I wrote it...