Post off topic threads here.
#77432 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:58 am
Hello Folks,

I have bad news about Evan Shu - though we have very few details, yet - he is in the hospital and unconscious, and his prognosis is not good.

Greg Barriere just got a call from Evan's wife, and that is all she told him. We don't know yet, which hospital, or even what happened to Evan.

We will update you all AS SOON as we know anything more.

I am holding Evan, and his family in the light.
Last edited by Neil Blanchard on Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
#77436 by MtnArch
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:45 pm
Prayers and good thoughts being sent Evan's way. Thanks for the heads up Neil.
#77442 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:35 pm
Folks, I just learned that Evan Shu is not going to make it. He will be removed from life support tomorrow.

Evan will be deeply missed, by all of us who knew him, and everyone in the DataCAD community. I will be holding Annamarie, Amanda, and Nate in the light.
#77443 by jimgoodman
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:45 am
That is very sad news. Even though I never had the privilege of meeting Evan in person, we spoke and corresponded many times. I consider him a good friend and he was an early mentor as I started learning DataCAD back in 1985.
My best to his family
#77444 by MtnArch
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:31 am
Like Jim I never had the privilege of meeting Evan in person but we did correspond and spoke a few times on the phone on both DataCAD and architectural issues as well. A shining light to the world - he will be missed. Our best to his family as well.
#77445 by dhs
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:12 pm
Like others who have never met Evan face to face I am deeply saddened at the news. I have had intermittent contact with Evan over many years and know that he has contributed much to the DataCAD community.

It is only a couple of years since he ceased publishing the Cheap Tricks Newsletter. I believe that corresponded roughly with him turning 65 (and presumably starting to think about retirement, or at least winding back his activities). Back in the 90s I subscribed to a hard copy of that newsletter and I'm sure his work in publishing it, making Cheap Tricks Ware listings available, and his involvement in DBUG have contributed more to the DataCAD community than anybody else outside the actual DataCAD staff.

It is very sad that his life is cut short at this stage and my thoughts are with all of his family and close friends as they mourn an enormous loss in their lives.
#77455 by David Porter
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:20 pm
No good way to say this. The news of Evan's passing just SUCKS. What an incredible person and who did so much for our DataCAD world and the world of DBUG.

I did have the privilege of spending a couple of hours with Evan at his home. It would have been in the fall of 2005. I had traveled to Woburn to stay overnight to check my daughter into Emerson College in downtown Boston. I was so close to Evan's house that we met up there and spent a couple of hours together. I got to meet his son and daughter, too.

Throughout the years of Cheap Tricks, Evan and I kept in touch and about once a year or so, I would write a Cheap Tricks article for him. He asked me to write a supporting letter for him when he was applying to obtain FAIA status (which he was granted). I did that with honor and pleasure.

He will be one of the great humans to always be remembered.
#77460 by Mark Bell
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:28 pm
Sympathies to Evan's family at this time. Like others, I didn't meet him but always valued his ongoing contributions with CheapTricks and the DataCAD community. I'm sure he had much more to offer in addition to this and pass on our condolences to his family.
#77463 by Roger D
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:27 am
Similar comments to those above. Never meet Evan in person, only via emails and posts here. He always completed his tasks fully. His production of Cheap Tricks newsletter help us all learn more about cad, and showed his desire to help improve us all.
Goes to prove that life is to short and to let those around us know how we feel sooner than later.
His family is in my thoughts and prayers.
#77485 by Robert Scott
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:46 pm
I'm so sorry to hear of Evan Shu's passing. Like others, I owe a depth of gratitude to a man I had only met once. DBUG and Cheap Tricks provided me with career advancement opportunities and several members I call friends. I'll always be thankful for the effort put out by Mr. Shu on our behalf.

Peace and comfort to his friends and family.

Robert Scott