Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 21 and DataCAD LT 21.
#77620 by DBrennfoerder
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:48 am
Can the layer manager be made to always be one, so when I open for a new day, its already on like the symbol browser.
#77628 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:56 pm
Hi Dwight, yes, the LM has a toggle in it at the lower left: Keep Layer Manager Open. Toggle that on, and it will stay open, and will reopen each time you boot up DataCAD (if it was open when you shut it down).

You have to restart DataCAD after toggling it on, in order for it to work. With two monitors, this is the way to go!
#77633 by DBrennfoerder
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:41 am
Au contraire, I have to turn the layer manager on every time, I always want it on, it's always open when I save and close, and it never appears when reopening until I turn it on again. v 21.00.00.08
#77636 by Paul Nida
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:33 pm
I asked this question several years ago and the answer was no. There is a difference in the way the layer manager and the symbol browser work but I don't remember what the difference was.
#77645 by Paul Nida
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:06 pm
Below is the answer I got from Dave several years ago when I asked for it. Maybe things have changed since then but not on my computers. I have to turn the layer manager on every time I start DataCAD and it stays on until I close DataCAD. And when I restart DataCAD I have to turn layer manager on again

Paul:

I can likely keep the Layer Manager open as long as DataCAD is running. I doubt I can make it act exactly like the SB as the LM is a dialog and the SB is a toolbar. You would have to re-open the LM when you first open a drawing, but I could make it remain open even if you were to close all drawings.

Dave

dave@datacad.com

Providing thoughtfully crafted, software bugs to the DataCAD community since 1984.
#77646 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:59 pm
I just checked again, after reading Paul's post - and I stand corrected - the LM does need to be reopened if you shut down DataCAD. It does stay open while you have DataCAD running.

It is easy to open it - Control-L after you have opened a drawing.

The problem I have is when I have DataCAD running, but I am using another program on the second monitor, after a few minutes, the LM pops up to cover up the active program. The only workarounds are to either move the LM, or move the other program, or close the LM.
#77649 by Paul Nida
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:39 pm
I have the same problem Neil, it's kind of annoying but I usually just click on the LM and then click back on the other program.
#77999 by Chris
Tue May 05, 2020 4:12 pm
Anyone notice how much more difficult "L-F4" (Layer-Active Only) is with the Lyr Manager kept open?

Would be nice if you could just tag the speed keys and touch the layer in the open manager.

Regards,

Chris
#78000 by joshhuggins
Tue May 05, 2020 4:34 pm
Chris wrote:Anyone notice how much more difficult "L-F4" (Layer-Active Only) is with the Lyr Manager kept open?

Would be nice if you could just tag the speed keys and touch the layer in the open manager.

Regards,

Chris

Yeah, would be nice if the corresponding F# keys for the root Layers Datacad menu would perform their command in the layer manager if it is currently selected vs the main program window. Pretty much F1-S6 could work as is I would think.
#78001 by Paul Nida
Tue May 05, 2020 5:18 pm
I am not sure this is possible since the LM is a separate window. I would think you would have to click in the LM window before the "F" keys would become active there. They couldn't be active all of the time without clicking in the LM because that would make the "F" keys unusable in DataCAD.
#78003 by joshhuggins
Tue May 05, 2020 5:48 pm
Paul Nida wrote:I am not sure this is possible since the LM is a separate window. I would think you would have to click in the LM window before the "F" keys would become active there. They couldn't be active all of the time without clicking in the LM because that would make the "F" keys unusable in DataCAD.
The F#'s keys would just invoke the commands that the Layer Manager window does, not the actual commands in the Datacad menu. Basicly would be keyboard shortcuts for the Layer Manager's buttons in that window.
#78004 by Paul Nida
Tue May 05, 2020 6:12 pm
Yes but like I said you would have to click in the Layer Manager before they would become active. If I am going to click in there why not just click on what you want to do. It just doesn't seem like a big advantage to me. I must be missing something.