Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 21 and DataCAD LT 21.
#78071 by GLanguell
Wed May 20, 2020 1:25 pm
Back when we used templates to show symbols, we could arrange the symbol order in the template file. How can I make that happen in the symbol browser window when we use the browser instead of templates?
#78072 by joshhuggins
Wed May 20, 2020 3:16 pm
Use a naming convention for your symbol names. They sort alphanumerical so you can use prefixes to sort them into groups, and then name them descriptively . Usually it doesn't have to be anything complicated but coming up with a good standard to start with will help the naming convention stay the same longer so take a look at your most complicated folders of symbols to see what might work best for your symbols collections. Try to stay away from file and folder names that are too long to avoid issues with windows paths longer than 260 characters.

001-symboltype1a.dsf
001-symboltype1b.dsf
001-symboltype1c.dsf
001-symboltype2a.dsf
001-symboltype2b.dsf
002-symboltype1a.dsf
002-symboltype1b.dsf
etc.
#78074 by GLanguell
Thu May 21, 2020 6:33 am
Thanks Josh,
I kinda did that I started each symbol with an alpha, ie: A-Filename, B-Filename, C-Filename and so on. Not exactly the solution was looking for but it does work. It's good to know I was on the right track.
Gene
#78081 by Neil Blanchard
Thu May 21, 2020 3:06 pm
A little trick to do this directly from DataCAD, is to open the Save Symbol dialog, but then Right-Click on a symbol you need to add the number prefix to, and select Rename. Then repeat for the next, and so on.

Then just Cancel instead of saving a new symbol, and the symbols should either reorder themselves, or after you reload the folder.
#78315 by Steve Elton
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:08 pm
Something I did long ago was I created a new symbol folder outside of the DataCad directory named DataCAD Symbols SJE. I then copied all the current symbols into this directory.
Why? Every time I upgraded my symbol modifications would not get transferred so I spent time trying to find the ones I had modified to replace the defaults. (Always worrying that if I just copied everything over I might miss some new and useful symbol that got included). Now I just point my symbol browser to my new folder and it is there for every new version.
#78316 by Roger D
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:40 pm
Same here, I created a basic DataCad directory, and keep all my defaults, Templates (yes I still use them) and Symbols there, also back up of support files just n case.
I still use Templates, have a drop down menu item to grab all my typical ones. After I have the drawing going, then I use the Browser for "In Drawing" most of the time,