What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#78093 by Mark Bell
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:24 am
For those that use DataCAD's 3D abilities there's often the need to quickly know what the overall height distance is between the active Z-Base and Z-Height without having to do the maths, but instead simply by glancing at the readout bar. This is more so if the Z-Datum Reference is used.

Wishlist: Add an additional readout value, zD (Z-Distance) to accompany zB and zH values and be the distance between the two: zD = zH - zB. By re-spacing the existing 6 readout values a seventh should fit to give the zD.

This would be particularly useful with multi-storey projects where the zD would be a quick reference to each floor-floor height/vertical zone.

060120a.jpg
#78096 by dhs
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:28 pm
Hi Mark,

Your request makes a lot of sense to me too....

I expect (without really knowing) that this should be pretty simple to implement and should make it into the production line.

In the meantime you may find the attached macro useful (? ... any feedback appreciated). It simply displays the zD measurement in the Error Message area and then immediately exits without waiting for user input etc. It is designed to be easily mapped to an icon or to a keyboard macro (assuming you have any alt-key combinations that are not already used).

Source for the macro is extremely simple and can be found at https://bitbucket.org/dhsoftware/zd for anybody that is interested. The attached macro is compiled it with the libraries supplied with DataCAD 17 so it should be compatible with any version since then (it may even work with earlier versions).

Regards,
David
Attachments
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 432 times
#78097 by Mark Bell
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:27 am
Thanks David,

Yep, it works. The last time I wrote a macro was with DataCAD v4....need I say more, hence most of my wishlist items are aimed at those who know what they're doing :-)
#78318 by dhs
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:24 pm
I have made the zd macro available on my web site (exact same version as previously posted on the forum, but the download from the web site also contains some bitmaps that could be used for toolbar icons if required).

One thing I have realised is that because it does not solicit any user input it can easily be combined with other functionality on on existing keyboard shortcut, which may be useful for people who already use all the available shortcuts (I have included an example of adding it to the default alt-z shortcut on the web page and in the basic instructions that are also included in the web site download).