Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 21 and DataCAD LT 21.
#78753 by David Lawrence
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:06 am
When we upgraded to Windows 10 we started encountering a problem of being able to open a file when it is in use by another user. In the past, we were warned that the file was in use, given the workstation name and user and asked if we wanted to open a copy. We no longer get that warning and are able to work on the file while it is still open on another workstation. The original user is then asked to save the file under a different name or warned that they have exited the file in an unusual fashion. Has anybody else experienced this and is it a Windows 10 issue?
#78754 by Mark F. Madura
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:59 am
Hi David,

Are you sharing files from a dedicated server? Or, are you sharing files from a computer that is also being used as a workstation?

Are you using mapped drives (i.e. S:\ = \\Server\C-Drive\Symbols) or UNC drives (i.e. \\Server\C-Drive\Symbols)?

In Program Preferences, on the Misc tab, in the Drawing Timer section there is an option Prevent Windows Sleep. You can enable this option to prevent the workstation from going to sleep while a drawing is open. This may help to prevent DataCAD from losing the handle to the file.

Can you reproduce the problem by trying to open a file that is in use within a few minutes of when the first employee opened the file? Or, does the failure only occur after an extended period of time?

MFM
#78755 by joshhuggins
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:41 am
David Lawrence wrote:When we upgraded to Windows 10 we started encountering a problem of being able to open a file when it is in use by another user. In the past, we were warned that the file was in use, given the workstation name and user and asked if we wanted to open a copy. We no longer get that warning and are able to work on the file while it is still open on another workstation. The original user is then asked to save the file under a different name or warned that they have exited the file in an unusual fashion. Has anybody else experienced this and is it a Windows 10 issue?
I have only seen this happen when a folder has been opened by the first user and they have had the file open for a long time before the second user opens the file. It seems to be more prevalent if the first person has not interacted with the file for quite a while like it not been the active drawing for some time or if the person has left the drawing open but they have left the office for a while. This is using files hosted on a local windows server using standard windows network sharing via a mapped drive letter. We have seen this from the Windows XP time frame thru Windows 10 era. The other side effect is some times instead of another user being able to open the file, when the first user goes to save the file, the user is prompted to 'save as' the file because it thinks the file is in use. The user then has to do the save as and then the user can immediately do another save as over the original file and it saves as it should.

Here is a link to when I commented on it when another user had the same problem back in 2015.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15081&p=67152&hilit=save+as+open+time+u%24r#p67152

And Neil and I discussing it in 2011.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11947&p=53781&hilit=save+as+open+time+u%24r#p53780

And again in 2007
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4807&hilit=save+as+open+time+u%24r
#78756 by David Lawrence
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:55 am
We are using a dedicated server with a mapped drive that is only for DataCAD.
The U$R file does seem go "inactive" between 1/2 hr and 1hr. Although I have had one user that this occurred to within about 10-15 minutes of opening a file.
We tried the prevent sleep option and it had no effect. It is odd to me that this wasn't a problem until we upgraded to Windows 10 with the same equipment; it could just be a coincidence.
The prevent Windows Screen Saver and Prevent Windows Sleep are both checked. Th No Timer Pause is NOT checked.
#78797 by David Lawrence
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:10 am
The problem can be reproduced within about a 1/2 hour of the file originally being opened. This occurs even when a user has been modifying the file within minutes of the next user opening the file. It appears that the file can be opened within the 1/2 Hour time frame and the second user will get the warning we have been accustomed to seeing prior to the upgrade to Windows 10.