Post off topic threads here.
#78800 by joshhuggins
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:42 pm
I am pessimistically optimistic about what they might bring to the table. I really hope this will bring improvements on our end with our DWG translations. It really is a barrier in working with most other non Datacad firms and makes us look like second class providers to clients sometimes. Fingers Crossed! :D
#78802 by joshhuggins
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:00 pm
That's kind of what I read too, but I am hoping since DWG is somewhat of a legacy format that they toss it out as a bone to appease those angry letter writing villagers. :lol:
#78816 by Mark Bell
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:30 pm
If there's shared access to IFC-BIM there may be a ray of hope for DataCAD's hybrid BIM to include some sort of I/O ability, even if basic but at least be able to import the file formats? It will improve offices using DataCAD and tendering on projects that specify BIM formats.....I pinched myself and I wasn't dreaming. :roll:
#78819 by pjdixit
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:38 pm
Don't get your hopes up about improvements to DWG translation support.

"Autodesk announced today it is becoming a member of the Open Design Alliance, the non-profit consortium a previous Autodesk CEO characterized as “the arms merchant to my enemies.”

But there is a catch: Autodesk is only joining to participate in interoperability related to the BIM neutral data standard IFC (Industry Foundation Classes); it won’t be participating in using or improving the DWG format — which was the original purpose behind the founding of ODA and still the largest part of its current operations. "

https://www.consiliavektor.com/2020/09/ ... h-a-catch/

I am honestly bit surprised that DataCAD users didn't demand IFC import/export functionality yet.
#78820 by Mark Bell
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:55 am
pjdixit wrote:I am honestly bit surprised that DataCAD users didn't demand IFC import/export functionality yet.

...some of us have, but I think we're a minority :(
#78826 by pjdixit
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:35 pm
"Engineers world-wide are working towards the perpetual goal of reducing the time it takes to turn an idea into a product. This goal will not be accomplished by a single company or solutions provider. Instead, it will take dozens or hundreds of domain specific solutions working together seamlessly. Much like today’s nascent modular platforms, these broader idea-to-part workflows will be adopted unevenly as needs diverge, for instance in because of regulation. That will not save today’s incumbents. If they stand in the way of the (r)evolution, Autodesk, Siemens, Dassault and other industrial software providers aiming to cover the entire range of engineering solutions will first find their market dwindling and realize that the Revit Revolt was only the tip of the iceberg."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewegne ... 058e732665