Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 22 and DataCAD LT 22.
#79205 by cgarchitect
Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:44 pm
Does anyone have a way or ideas on how to reduce the file size of drawings which are saved as a pdf when printing in datacad? I usually print to a 24x36 size. Wondering if printing to a 11X17 would be smaller. Thinking for others to view on screen.

Thanks
PJ
Datacad user since ver 3.
#79213 by Roger D
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:23 am
you could try doing a 11x17 sample of your work to see.
Sometimes I will reprint the pdf's using either bullzip or pdf-exchange and sometimes it reduces the file size. With either I think you can set the dps density which can reduce the size without lossing to much clarity.
#79226 by David Porter
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:41 pm
I have used a program called PDF Xchange for a number of years. I probably use it 80 times a day. It is the only PDF editing program I use and it has such a simple learning curve. It puts the actual Adobe Acrobat program to shame in the simple things it will do. It runs about $60 online and will pay for itself in about a day.

With it, I can take a 20 MB PDF file and click on "optimize" with Xchange and it will scrunch it down to usually about half of that byte count and with no loss of resolution.
#79227 by joshhuggins
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:07 pm
Another one for PDF XChange here. I use their PDF print drivers to set up multiple printers that have presets to different output settings. If I want a really high quality output, I can pick my 'PDF 2400' and it will run at 2400 DPI with no image compression. If I pick 'PDF Compress' it will run at 200 DPI with high image compression turned on. There are tons of options with their print driver.

I get the driver as part of their PDF XChange Pro pack which is $93 and includes their Standard Print driver ($44), PDF Tools ($67), and the full version of their PDF XChange Editor ($54) much cheaper than buying the standalone products. It's a perpetual license so it's your to keep indefinitely that comes with a year of free upgrades. I then use their maintenance plan which is $23 a year to continue to get all their updates and new versions after the first year is over. As David says it's well worth it for the tools that come with it if you do a lot of PDF manipulation. It's my most used program I'd bet. It's not as architecture/engineering and multi-user collaborative as something like Bluebeam's Revu but it does everything I've ever needed it to do at a much lower cost.

dsadas.PNG
Print Driver
dsadas.PNG (36.41 KiB) Viewed 5837 times
Attachments
2020-12-30_112723 (Large).jpg
PDF Tools
#79228 by MtnArch
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:56 pm
I bought CutePDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Pro.asp) more years ago than I want to admit (2004?) and have been pleased with it. It's like our beloved DCad .. it not only just WORKS, but does it simply and completely! It reduces PDF sizes, allows you to add text, shapes, images, etc. The interface is a little clunky but the way it does what it does .. who cares? There is no maintenance fee .. I've never paid another dime for any updates since I originally paid for it.
#80584 by Mark Bell
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:24 am
If you've inserted any images (Insert/Bitmap such as JPG etc.) we've found an efficient way to reduce the PDF file size is to first import the image into PowerPoint then save the image as a JPG, then use Insert/Bitmap in DataCAD . PowerPoint seems do a good job of retaining the colours but shrinks the image file size which is useful when inserting aerial photos of sites etc. without too much loss in quality from the original.