What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#78637 by joshhuggins
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:00 pm
All of your suggested enhancements sound great David!
#78641 by dhs
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:06 pm
The other enhancement that has been suggested since my original post (and which I am intending to include in the initial version) is the ability to taper the extrusion. Bill's macro does allow this, but I am proposing additional options:

You will be able to specify an enlargement factor for both the beginning and end of the extrusion and the extrusion will be tapered accordingly.
.... or, if you wish for a non-linear taper you can specify a polyline as an 'enlargement profile' (e.g. you could model a fluted column with a slight bulge in the middle). The enlargement profile can either be stretched/compressed to the length of the path or truncated/repeated if it is longer or less than the path length.
#78667 by melina
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:05 pm
Being able to vary the bulge/taper is an upgrade. With the classical columns and similar, as surface of revolution works fine, but only if the column is smooth. Being able to add flutes and ridges opens up new options whether working in historic preservation or creating new organic shapes for light fixtures. Very exciting!
#80288 by dhs
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:58 pm
I am pleased to announce that a new macro is now available from my web site.

The Extrude Macro allows you to extrude a profile along a path, and both the profile and the path can be defined in a number of different ways. Please take a few minutes to .

You can download the new macro from the .

I would like to thank both Melina Boukis and Mark Madura for testing and providing feedback during the development of the macro, and you will find some of the comments they made regarding the macro on the .

Not all the features I originally envisaged are included with this first version of the macro, but I believe it provides a reasonably comprehensive starting set of tools that I do intend to develop further with additional functionality in future.
#80290 by Dave
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:38 am
Haven't tied it yet, watched the video, looks very good
Thanks

DaveR
#80345 by David Porter
Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:41 am
I concur with Josh's assessment of the existing Sweep macro. My biggest issue with it is figuring out the correct path direction to then draw the polyline so that the profile chosen gets extruded in the correct direction. I would like to see the use of a simple 2D drawing profile or polyline that defines the shape and then a simple polyline drawn in one direction that can define how the profile will get extruded.

The Sweep macro does the trick but I think if the Extrude macro can be less complicated for the creating of the extruded profile and then the pathway to make it all happen, that would be a big improvement.
#80912 by Mark Bell
Mon May 16, 2022 3:10 am
Got into using DHS's Extrude Macro in more detail today and have to compliment David for a great macro. After initially being put off by the complexity of the macro settings and limited time to get the work done I quickly watched the first half of the Youtube video that was produced with the macro ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKtl7H7rCRU ) , jumped back over to DataCAD and managed to output exactly what was needed straight away - and it was so simple to use. Thumbs up to you Dave!