Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#74722 by joshhuggins
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:43 pm
What does ctrl+right clicking on a symbol with attributes and picking Symbol Tools, Redefine Attributes do? Is it just like Edit Attributes but clears all the existing data out?
#81551 by Joseph Baron
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:29 pm
:lol: I'm very late to the party but I'm on here looking for the same thing, what exactly is redefine attributes function for and what do I do with it? I'm not finding anything about this in the PDF's.
#81555 by Roger D
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:24 am
Allows you to change the symbol attribute.
If your Detail Title has Detail number, sheet number and title. You can edit each attribute as you place it, or afterwards to reflect the actual values. This way you have 1 symbol, and do not have to edit the symbol each time.

Similar with a door number symbol. I have invisible attributes also for the items I define when placing the door number and will later export to the Door Schedule for Door type, material, hdwe, etc.

Or for a Room Name symbol, define the finishes for each room as you place the symbol or later edit for the Room Finish Schedule.
#81556 by Joseph Baron
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:44 am
Thanks Roger I appreciate the reply.

To be more specifc I was looking for is the difference between using Edit Attributes and Redefine Attributes, which Josh noted that Redefine just clears any variable fields so I see where that is useful.

Anyone know the extended code for Redefine symbol? I had picked up 170# for Edit symbol from somewhere but it's not in any of the PDF's.
#81557 by Joseph Baron
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:07 pm
Roger D wrote:...and do not have to edit the symbol each time.

I'd like to know more about this, how to not have to edit each symbol as it's placed.

If there is a way to make a variable or preset field 'stick' while placing symbols I'd very much want to know how.
#81558 by Joseph Baron
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:02 pm
Does anyone know how to CHANGE the attribute order in Edit Symbol?

I've had the order of two attributes 'flip' several times where I've had to go back and recreate the attributes in edit symbol. They are not alphabetical and it's a mystery to me how they are getting reversed in order.

EDIT: Further testing adding additional attrubutes confirms they are added to the bottom of the attribute dialog which makes sense, except the 4th added one is invisible so maybe there is a rule that invisible ones appear at the top? If I want to change the attribute order is the only way to do that is to recreate them all?
Attachments
DataCAD Symbol Attribute Order.jpg
DataCAD Symbol Attribute Order.jpg (49.89 KiB) Viewed 45597 times
Last edited by Joseph Baron on Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#81559 by joshhuggins
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:27 pm
Joseph Baron wrote:Does anyone know how to reset the attribute order in Edit Symbol? . . .
They show up in the Edit Attributes dialog based on their layer entity / database order. What I do to get them to show up in my preferred order, usually on a single layer, is to use the Group function and pick the entities in the order I want them to list in the Edit Attribute dialog in. Grouping, in a symbol or drawing, moves the entitie's to the end of layers list of entities.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.