Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 22 and DataCAD LT 22.
#82187 by RBCA
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:50 pm
Is it possible to edit a symbol without inserting into drawing, editing, and replacing.
Have a lot of older symbols that i want change colors, etc. in bulk.
Tried double clicking on the sm3 file. It asked me what to open into.
Clicked DataCad.
I opened it in DataCad.
edited it.
saved it.
but after re-opening in symbols, it showed original.
Is there a separate program?

Thanks,
#82191 by Roger D
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:36 am
There is a macro that could help, Tpl-Mgr5, or Tmpl_Mgr that you can set your color change map, then pick a template to do the whole template at once.

Or you could open a blank drawing, open the symbol browser, right-click on each symbol, pick edit symbol, save the edit, then also right-click save symbol.
#82234 by Neil Blanchard
Mon May 15, 2023 2:39 pm
The one step that you may need to be doing is that after editing and saving the symbol, you then need to do a Save As in the Symbol Manager, so the edited version actually gets saved to the hard drive? If you don't do this, then the edited version only is saved in the drawing you were in when you edit the symbol.

RBCA wrote:Is it possible to edit a symbol without inserting into drawing, editing, and replacing.
Have a lot of older symbols that i want change colors, etc. in bulk.
Tried double clicking on the sm3 file. It asked me what to open into.
Clicked DataCad.
I opened it in DataCad.
edited it.
saved it.
but after re-opening in symbols, it showed original.
Is there a separate program?

Thanks,