Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 20 and DataCAD LT 20.
#73877 by Vmorris1
Wed May 16, 2018 4:04 pm
How do one import a 2d sketchup detail into a drawing without having it disrupting the datacad file? Each time I try to import Sketchup detail, I first have to bring it into a dummy Datacad file then transfer it to the real Datacad file in order to protect the coordinates. if i don't take this step (as I just happen) the whole file is messed up and I have to go back and try to rebuild it. its going to take me hours to fit it.
#73880 by MtnArch
Wed May 16, 2018 11:55 pm
Bob Scott and Jim Goodman are probably the two best gurus as to how to utilize SU and Dcad the most effectively. Hopefully one of them will chime in tomorrow morning (in their respective timezones!).
#73883 by jimgoodman
Thu May 17, 2018 7:53 am
Bob and I have been pushing the absolute limits of DataCAD-Sketchup-Layout and it can be daunting but we are now able to generate live exterior elevations from our DataCAD/SU models using Layout for sheet formatting and annotations.

It's always best to bring in Sketchup files as XRefs instead of direct import. If you want to edit or manipulate the SU file, you can bind teh SU reference to a symbol and edit the symbol.

With all the nifty reference and symbol tools in DataCAD 20, almost all of our DataCAD files are now comprised of symbols and references instead of live information.

This approach also makes collaboration much easier where our far flung team can work on parts of the project and have them updated in the master file(s)

Ted B is also using "a hybrid overlay-drafting and xrefs style of Cad management for his Datacad documentation, and extensive use of SketchUp-Layout for design and for construction documentation."