Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#76638 by DBrennfoerder
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:24 pm
I friend who I used to work with is drafting with v11 and having an issue with one file. I'm on the latest greatest DataCAD and do not see the issue. When he zooms into the field, at some point when not terribly close (a 4' distance is visible on screen), his search circle on the curser (set to 20, line type set to solid, spacing set to 1') goes to weird shapes, rectangle on one side, trapezoid on another side, long skinny rectangle to one side. When his search circle changes to this other form, he is no longer able to search or snap to anything.
The file can be downloaded from: https://brennfoerderarchitects.sharefil ... 7fe9f40ea8
An image of his screen and mine demonstrates the difference. Sorry about the dust on my screen :(
Attachments
IMG_5259.jpg
His file, his screen
IMG_5259.jpg (71.72 KiB) Viewed 9557 times
IMG_5260.jpg
His file, my screen
IMG_5260.jpg (73.08 KiB) Viewed 9557 times
#76640 by Mark Bell
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:11 pm
It works okay on my system, though I notice my screen resolution must be quite a bit higher given how the GTV's display. I drew a line back to abs zero and in decimal feet (your settings), is approx. 2813521. It might be the other user has an old pc with lower resolution and when the crosshair and aperture is along way from abs zero it causes it to distort? This happens with text.

FYI, instead of using your phone to take a photo of the screen, you can press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) usually to the right of F12, then paste in to a graphics program or even Word, then you can crop and save to your pc.
#76641 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:07 pm
Has he tried using the Screen Calibration tool in Datacad?
#76648 by DBrennfoerder
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:19 am
RE: Distance from absolute zero. Good suggestion. I'll visit with him and see if moving to zero helps. I know he was working with a file that was provided for him by another, so that could really be the issue. I think his laptop was was 1920 x 1080 and I set the monitor (a 32" TV) to the same. His laptop is about a 15" screen. Both displayed the same anomaly. By the way, I have a 28" monitor and a 32" tv on my laptop and cannot see any difference in output.

RE: Print screen. The phone was quick and easy, but an interesting aside: My Dell Inspiron 17, 7000 series has that PrtScr button and it was deactivated by some MicroSoft upgrade. I had to find a screen grab ap to replicate the function unless one of you guru's can figure how to turn it back on.

RE: Screen calibration: not sure how that would help. It seems like the search window becomes database dependent at closer zoom levels instead of window dependent. It's supposed to be visually the same at any zoom, but when zoomed to a scale 4 or 5 foot visible width, it wants to draft a polygon attached to points on screen. One zoom level might make a rectangle on one side of the vertical, next zoom the rectangle might jump to the opposite side, next zoom might make a triangle or longer skinny rectangle.

Thanks for the ideas. Will update when I know more.
#76652 by DBrennfoerder
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:25 pm
Congrats, Josh. You nailed it!

We opened that file and moved so that the lower left most element in the database is at absolute 0,0 and the shape of the cursor search window became correct.

Thanks much!
#76653 by joshhuggins
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:35 pm
That was Big Marky B but I will gladly accept the thanks until he gets his coffee going this morning, tomorrow morning, eh, whatever. :lol:
#76654 by MtnArch
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:30 pm
"Don't get cocky, kid!" - Han Solo