Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 21 and DataCAD LT 21.
#77416 by rhassoc
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:16 pm
Getting the error "error opening swap file for compression" while trying to save a drawing over the network.
Windows 10, DataCAD 21, Network storage drive.
I can save symbols, export dwg, save layer files, everything except the main drawing file.
All other programs, Word, Adobe, etc. access network files fine.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I have been Googling for 2 days now and getting nowhere.

Thank you
Randy Hopkins
RH Associates Architects
Auburn, California
DataCAD user since DataCAD 5
#77418 by Mark Bell
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:15 pm
Just a guess here - look for any .u$r files which are temporary files created when a drawing file is opened, then delete them. Also check in the Temporary Files folder on the installation drive (C: ?).
#77420 by rhassoc
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:05 pm
I can see the swap file in the temporary folder, same size as it is if I open the drawing directly from my hard drive, not the network. If working on the network, DataCAD just throws up the error message and saves the drawing uncompressed which causes a fault error when trying to open again.
I will reload DataCAD this afternoon and see if that fixes it.

Thanks
Randy Hopkins
RH Associates Architects
Auburn, California
DataCAD user since DataCAD 5
#77474 by rhassoc
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:45 pm
Turns out this error was due to an operating system error, not DataCAD. I was having some other odd errors so after a combined 5+ hours on the phone with Dell tech support, a new installation of Windows 10 was done and after loading everything back up, DataCAD is working normally.
Now on to mouse problems on another computer.

Randy Hopkins
RH Associates Architects
Auburn, California