Looking for help? Post available jobs here. Threads are automatically removed after 30 days with no replies.
#81255 by David Porter
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:16 am
I have used BackToCad before but stopped purchasing their updates because I didn't like the results. The software scans the PDF and tries to convert lines into vectors and tries to read text to convert it into actual lines of characters. But, the resulting file sizes are huge and then bog down any CAD program. I didn't like the inaccuracy of the scan and having some lines converted into shorter line segments to then have to work with. In other words, you will not get back a clean CAD file that DCAD will import and you will be off and running with using the scanned drawings as a base drawing for renovations.

For decades, I have just input from scratch existing drawings and then I have a base drawing that is very usable. Another trick I sometimes use is to open up a new DCAD drawing and then use the Insert menu to import the PDF file. It imports it cleanly and converts it into a jpg file. It can be scaled to match the correct scale. Because it is an imported bitmap, one can carve out portions of that image in DCAD to make it go away to then draw new information in those areas to show renovation conditions.

It is the quickest, most accurate, and cheapest way I have found to work with existing PDF files.
#81285 by thomaset
Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:33 pm
I use an older version of "SCANTOCAD" that I bought years ago. I think it requires a subscription now. Will scan very well and save in dxf format. I have to clean up the text though. It actually scans the text twice, one smaller font that I use and a larger one that I delete.