Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#20379 by dmooney
Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:51 pm
This is getting extremely annoying. Every time DCAD autosaves the program freezes up for about 10-20 seconds depending on the size of the file. I just sit there waggling my mouse around while the screen is frozen.

I'm not sure of the culprit, but it started after we switched over to a Win2003 server, although I suspect part of the problem is in DC11 not allowing me to autosave locally (C:\drive). The autosaves go to the location of the file (the network server) and since they are uncompressed this can often be a large file.

I used to never notice the backup, but this is horrendous. Shouldn't this process be in the background and low level as to not disrupt the work flow?

If anyone has a solution, I have an arm & a leg for you.
#20391 by RPadgett
Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:10 pm
If you manually save the file to your local drive, won't future autosaves go there as well?
#20398 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:25 pm
Hello David

dmooney wrote:I'm not sure of the culprit, but it started after we switched over to a Win2003 server...

What were you using as your server before Win2k3?

Is your Win2k3 server also configured as your LOCAL LAN's DNS server?

Are your workstations properly joined to the doamin and pointing to your new 2k3 server for DNS?

Do you have other workstations on your Lan that are having the same problem?

I would recommend installing the server tools from the WIN2k3 install CD/DVD and run the CLI utility "NETDIAG" as well as "DCDIAG". These utilities run a battery of connectivity and Active Directory test to verify if your server/workstations are properly configured.

Here are instructions for installing teh support tools:

To install Windows Support Tools
Insert the Windows CD into your CD-ROM drive.

Click No if you are prompted to reinstall Windows.

When the Welcome screen appears, click Perform additional tasks, and then click Browse this CD.

Go to the \Support\Tools folder.

For complete setup information, refer to the Readme.htm file available in this folder.

Double-click suptools.msi.

Follow the instructions that appear on your screen.

Cheers,

Aaron
#20460 by dmooney
Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:49 am
As much as I'd like to solve this, I had a deadline, but now I'll respond to the above:

Neil Blanchard wrote:If you are using XRef's, and if you not using nested XRef's -- then if you turn off nesting (which is on by default), then you might see this lag time improved?

"Turn off nesting" is my mantra when ever someone has a complaint about a file acting sluggish, and it usually does the trick, but not in this case.

Saving locally will work and the autosaves will then go to the local drive, but then I have to copy everything back over to the server. With 4 people potentially working on the same files, you can imagine the possiblities for a royal mess (to put it very politely).
#20461 by dmooney
Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:11 am
What were you using as your server before Win2k3?

"I" didn't have any difficulties with the server before a recent re-installation of Win2K3 to correct other problems and allow for SP1 (which previously crashed our network). After the reinstall, everyone has the problem and it's apparently worse.

Yes. I also tried switching from DHCP to a static IP on my machine, but no luck.

Are your workstations properly joined to the domain and pointing to your new 2k3 server for DNS?

I believe so, at least everyone can access the server. I'll have to check the logs on the server to see if anything odd is occurring.

Do you have other workstations on your Lan that are having the same problem?

Yes, all of them while in DCAD. We do see some minor sluggishness in Word/Excel documents although this is much better than the 5-10 minute hang time that used to occur (this is what prompted the reinstall).

I would recommend installing the server tools from the WIN2k3 install CD/DVD and run the CLI utility "NETDIAG" as well as "DCDIAG". These utilities run a battery of connectivity and Active Directory test to verify if your server/workstations are properly configured.

I'll give this a shot, see what the results are and let you know.
#20464 by joshhuggins
Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:44 pm
Did you make any adjustments/modifications in your cabling? Double check your cables for pinches. A port could have a wire bent goofy or a cable might not be plugged in completely. Or a wire pulled from the head. One bad wire can cause collisions & interference as your describing. It could be a users mashed up a cable behind a box somewhere in the office, and the timing of the upgrade is coincidence. It happen here before. The large uncompressed Datacad files take more time to transmit, and seeing as Word and Excel are also doing in a matter that is in relationship to the file size, it seems there is some sort of communication error rather than a configuration, but just a guess. The NetDiag tools work well as Aaron suggest. If you do not get any results on the server end, there is an XP version available from the Microsoft Update you can run on each system. It installs to C:\WINDOWS\network diagnostic. I haven't had to use DCDiag before.

When testing connections, try a direct connection between the server and a system via a known good hub/switch (or crossover patch cable), remove all but one system from your hub/switches and see if the lag is still there. If it is, repeat up to three times. If it's still there try a new port on the hub/switch. If it's still there, try a new hub/switch. I doubt it's the hub/switch but you never know what can happen between a power cycle :roll: Systematic checking is always best to help you keep your sanity. Once you rule out it's a connection issue then you can move on to software testing. This is just how I usually approach it. It's probably software related, but I like to double check my hard connections if I have unplugged anything first. If you haven't you can probably safely move on to checking the servers software config.

Also, shouldn't the autosave be going to your local Datacad folder? Are you using a networked version of Datacad?
#20467 by Mark Toce
Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:36 pm
joshhuggins wrote:Also, shouldn't the autosave be going to your local Datacad folder? Are you using a networked version of Datacad?
Auto-recover files are always saved in the same folder as the drawing. This enables any workstation to recover the most recent version of the file in the event of a crash.
#20472 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:57 pm
Hi David.

dmooney wrote:

Yes. I also tried switching from DHCP to a static IP on my machine, but no luck.

Yes, all of them while in DCAD. We do see some minor sluggishness in Word/Excel documents although this is much better than the 5-10 minute hang time that used to occur (this is what prompted the reinstall).

Do you by chance have a router on your network that is handeling DHCP in lieu of The Win2k3 server?

Aaron
#20474 by joshhuggins
Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:51 am
Aaron Ben-Avraham wrote:Do you by chance have a router on your network that is handeling DHCP in lieu of The Win2k3 server?

Aaron
Ah, yes if they are both serving DHCP that too would cause similar effects.
#20491 by Aaron Ben-Avraham
Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:57 am
joshhuggins wrote:
Aaron Ben-Avraham wrote:Do you by chance have a router on your network that is handeling DHCP in lieu of The Win2k3 server?

Aaron
Ah, yes if they are both serving DHCP that too would cause similar effects.

Hi Josh,

Actually, what happens is that if Win2k3 detects a router handing out DHCP adresses, it shuts down. At that point you sort of have a whole "cascade" effect on DNS/Active directory. It totally breaks Win2k3 DNS/Active directory and you end up with the kind of problems that Dave is having.

Know 'bout this from first hand experience :wink:
#20505 by joshhuggins
Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:37 am
Aaron Ben-Avraham wrote:Hi Josh,

Actually, what happens is that if Win2k3 detects a router handing out DHCP addresses, it shuts down. At that point you sort of have a whole "cascade" effect on DNS/Active directory. It totally breaks Win2k3 DNS/Active directory and you end up with the kind of problems that Dave is having.

Know 'bout this from first hand experience :wink:
We had this happen about a year back and it did not shut down, the service locked up and kept assigning but incorrectly, but I was not aware that shutting down was the default action, but it makes since now that you say that and good to know, thanks. :D